DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Concert @ 800iso + wide-open

Hallo,
here some of my first pics with my new (and first digicam) sd 14 and 18-50 f2.8 ex macro . High iso and foveon don't go well together is often said; yet I must say was pleased with my results of my sd14 on 800iso .
The whole concert quasi fixed setting :1/20-1/40@2.8 (manual focus).
Opinions ?

Attachments

• Wovenhand 22112008 Patrick Foré2.jpg
    EXIF
    Wovenhand 22112008 Patrick Foré2.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Wovenhand 22112008 Patrick Foré9.jpg
    EXIF
    Wovenhand 22112008 Patrick Foré9.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Wovenhand 22112008 patrick Foré13.jpg
    EXIF
    Wovenhand 22112008 patrick Foré13.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Wovenhand 22112008 Patrick Foré3.jpg
    EXIF
    Wovenhand 22112008 Patrick Foré3.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Wovenhand 22112008 Patrick Foré.jpg
    EXIF
    Wovenhand 22112008 Patrick Foré.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Wovenhand 22112008 Patrick Foré4.jpg
    EXIF
    Wovenhand 22112008 Patrick Foré4.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 49
Nice

Hey Patrick,

Nice shots, look forward to seeing more of your work. That 18-50 f2.8 is one of my favorite lens.

Bob

Great shots, Patrick!.
I love them all, nice results even at so high ISO.
Congrats!

Jes.

Best Wishes

Thanks for the kind reply, BobTN and Jesito much appriciated,
after the 'festifities' i'll get back to sigmauserforum,
take care,
Patrick

Those turned out very well, I think you should be encouraged by the results.

Did you find focusing manually to be fairly easy? I use a lot of M42 lenses and am finding it a bit tough. When I was younger and my eyes were better, it was no problem, but age seems to be having its effects.

I've ordered one of the Pentax viewfinder magnifiers that were suggested here to see if it helps.

Robert

Patrick, I've been meaning to respond to your concert pics, better late than never, eh?

No problem with high ISO when the SD14 is in the right hands. :)

You sure look like you know what you're doing.

Sincere regards, Jim R

Manual focus

Those turned out very well, I think you should be encouraged by the results.

Did you find focusing manually to be fairly easy? I use a lot of M42 lenses and am finding it a bit tough. When I was younger and my eyes were better, it was no problem, but age seems to be having its effects.

I've ordered one of the Pentax viewfinder magnifiers that were suggested here to see if it helps.

Robert
Thanks Robert,
Untill a month ago I used Contax Y/C mount o.a S2 fully manual body spotmetering(still in love with it and the deep blacks of diapositives) with o.a. zeiss 50 mm 1.4 -maybe the sigma 30 1.4 may do wonders for you?- I found the sd14 can also used similary o.a. manual focus is helped by it's bright viewfinder (with contax I was spoiled with clear viewfinders) and the 2,8 opening of my lens :
rather shallow DOF and sufficiant lightgathering power .
Greetings Patrick

I know your a keen photographer

Patrick, I've been meaning to respond to your concert pics, better late than never, eh?

No problem with high ISO when the SD14 is in the right hands. :)

You sure look like you know what you're doing.

Sincere regards, Jim R

I know you are a keen photographer, so I value your opinion a lot ...
I'm only a month 'fully' digital (foveon sigma was the only option to let my diapositives go and C. Rytterfalk the final drop...) So now I 'm trying to get my 'workflow' organised . (Got 'Lightzone' from my scanning days and searching to get the right rawdevelopper on my Mac mini : ssp 3.2 ok but runs so slow, rawdevelopper or Raw photostudio alternative ?

Greetings Patrick

I can't help with your RAW software decision, Patrick, as I only use SPP and Photoshop, which are both resource hungry beasts!

Others might be able to chime in here. If not, Klaus will be back from holidays in the new year.

Sincere regards, Jim R.

I know you are a keen photographer, so I value your opinion a lot ...
I'm only a month 'fully' digital (foveon sigma was the only option to let my diapositives go and C. Rytterfalk the final drop...) So now I 'm trying to get my 'workflow' organised . (Got 'Lightzone' from my scanning days and searching to get the right rawdevelopper on my Mac mini : ssp 3.2 ok but runs so slow, rawdevelopper or Raw photostudio alternative ?

Greetings Patrick
Your pics encouraged me becoming a bit more courageous with my SD14 to use it beyond ISO 800. Thanks.

Back