DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

The adapter is only 10% of the difficulty...

jesito

I've been trying several M42 lenses with the SD9. The main problem is the proper focusing. Although the SD9 seems to recognize the focus point, is not as clear as with the 18-50mm lens. So most of the shots lack of proper focus...
I've been thinking in replacing the focusing screen with a split-image one, but even the reliable Katz-eye have a disclosure on their site regarding the SIGMA cameras:

(See special terms and conditions at the end of the page) http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Sigma-SD10-Focusing-Screen--prod_SD10.html

Does any of you have experience of focusing manual lenses on the SD9?.

This is the best I got yesterday with a 135mm TAMRON 860 M42 lens attached to the SD9. (It's an OEM lens under the brand Weltblick, I own two of them, the other one is under the brand Sands Hunter). I use it as a lightweight portrait lens:

album.php

Kind regards,
Jes.

Jes, I used to use a number of M42 lenses on my SD10 and found that the faster the lens, the easier it was to focus.

However, another thing I found (nothing to do with focussing) was that the purpose designed and built Sigma lenses direct the light more effectively onto the sensor, making far more efficient use of the light.

I have since retired all my M42 lenses.

Sincere regards, Jim R.

Hi Jim,
Thanks for answering, however I cannot get rid of about fifty M42 lenses... :(

(To Uwe: I'm unable to edit my first post anymore, and I'd need to fix the picture link... Could you please take a look to it, to see why I cannot edit it?. Thanks!!. )

Jes.

(To Uwe: I'm unable to edit my first post anymore, and I'd need to fix the picture link... Could you please take a look to it, to see why I cannot edit it?. Thanks!!. )

Jes.

Hi Jes,
users can not edit or delet their post.
Only within the first 3 minutes after posting a post can be edited by a user.
Users can (should) use the "Preview Post" option to check the post and see
what the will look like.:)
Once a posting is online only mods can edit or delete it.

For your 50 ? M42 lenses the classified section would be the place.
Selling and buyiny of items only should discussed there and will be deleted in all other threads.:z02_mod_boese:
Regards
Uwe

Hi Jes,
users can not edit or delet their post.
Only within the first 3 minutes after posting a post can be edited by a user.
Users can (should) use the "Preview Post" option to check the post and see
what the will look like.:)
Once a posting is online only mods can edit or delete it.

For your 50 ? M42 lenses the classified section would be the place.
Selling and buyiny of items only should discussed there and will be deleted in all other threads.:z02_mod_boese:
Regards
Uwe

Thanks, Uwe.
I didn't know about the 3 minutes limit...

On the other hand, don't worry. I won't be selling any of my beloved M42 lenses :). It took me years to collect them and each one has it's specific character... Besides this, I also own a Canon 350D, a Pentax *istDS and an Oly E-330 and all the lenses are running fine on these.
What I'm afraid is that I will need some more lenses, SIGMA specific, and a focusing screen to improve the focusing with the old lenses.
I've been thinking in getting a faster 18-50, I've seen the 18-50 EX 2.8 in the ads. Do you think it would be worth getting one to replace the "kit" one?.

Kind regards,
Jes.

Hi Jes,

you can read an awful lot on going for other focussing screens with the SIGMA SDs. My answer is loud and clear ... DON'T!! It Is not really necassary!

The SDs have very good viewfinders (IMHO) it just takes some experience and training to really see the focus. I have an awful lot of M42-lenses too and I use them.

Most of them perform really well .... sometimes you are very surprised about their image quality.

I once went for a very old SOLIGOR 35-140mm 3.5 (constant speed) MACRO lens. I never had thought it would suit for something. In fact, it does!

At the long end you even can enjoy it open with good quality. With the shorter focal lengthes you should slow it down to 5.6 to have the edges sharp. The MACRO-range is sharp like a dream.

Have a look (SOLIGOR with the SD9)

View attachment 1042 View attachment 1043

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• Sample 1.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 1.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Sample 2.jpg
    EXIF
    Sample 2.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 18
Hello, Klaus.
Many thanks for your comments,
I've read negative feedback on SIGMA split focusing screens. It's a pity, I solved all my focusing problems with the EOS 350D when I installed the split image focusing screen from Katz-Eye.
I don't have very good eyesight, and the SD9 viewfinder is not what I could call a "brigth" one.
Does the SD14 viewfinder make a difference?.
If so, I might be tempted of going up to the SD14...

Thanks again,
Jes.

BTW, the two shots are impressive...
I do prefer #2, but both are really nice!.

Jes.

Back