M6TTL loose advance lever

A

azicat

Hello everyone - this is my first posting to this forum.

I have a Leica M6TTL which seems to have a fair amount of play in the film advance lever. The whole lever & shutter button surround seems to be able to move vertically (up & down) about 0.5mm. I actually had to readjust the leaf spring on the base of the camera because the button wouldn't trigger the shutter when the lever was 'moved up' vertically.

Is this a known problem with the M6, or is this free play normal?

Thanks in advance.

O

oskar_b

It's normal,

even my M3 does it so does the M5 and the M7.
So I hope it's normal if you know what I mean.

Cheers Craig

A

azicat

Thanks Craig. I was just wondering as I bought an M2 last month and it's as tight as a drum. After using the M2, the M6TTL feels loose & crappy - poorer viewfinder/rangefinder, lighter weight (which can also be a good thing), and the film advance lever issues as mentioned.

O

oskar_b

Kelvin

The “loose†film advance lever is something I just recently noticed on one my Ms. So I tested the others and they too had some play. The amount was different for each camera. But I assume this situation is normal. Now I wonder why your M2 lever “is as tight as a drumâ€.

And yes, the “feal†and handling of the older Ms is definitely quite different to that you get with M4-2 to M7 cameras. While the MP has more of a traditional “feal†about it.

Craig.