DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Vulcanite Care for IIIg and older

G

I have a IIIg which is currently still mint. I am worried the vulcanite may dry and crack with age (as has happened with my IIIa "G" which is 20 years older). Any suggestions? Thanks!

Chris asked: > I have a IIIg which is currently still mint. I am worried the > vulcanite may dry and crack with age (as has happened with my IIIa "G" > which is 20 years older). Any suggestions? Thanks! >

I would think the best treatment for vulcanite is to hold the camera in your hands, with film in it, and take pictures. That very act will lubricate the vulcanite, it will make your camera know it is loved, and thus protect the vulcanite.

Vulcanite is fairly easily replaced by such geniuses as Ken Ruth at http://www.baldmtn.com/

Sonny http://www.sonc.com

Posted by CHRISTOPHER ENGELER on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 7:08 pm:

I have a IIIg which is currently still mint. I am worried the vulcanite may dry and crack with age (as has happened with my IIIa "G" which is 20 years older). Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi, Christopher,

I heard people saying that the best way to keep the vulcanite is to hold it in your hand every now and then and not put in your dry box for too long.
happy.gif

> re: Posted by Justin Scott on Friday, January 31, 2003 - 8:11 am:

FOR YOUR REFERENCE:

How do you maintain vulcanite and keep it looking like new?

Justin,

Thank you so much for a condensed excerpt of your thesis. I appreciate the very useful info.

Andre' Rivard

A pleasure André, although the 'thesis' was not mine. I found it on the web some time ago and copied and used it with my cameras. The vulcanite looks great. Justin

Christopher,
May I add my two cents worth?
In my experience in the classic car world, the last thing rubber needs is any form of OIL, whether from your hands or elsewhere. It will in time literally rot the material.
My suggestion is to use a PROFESSIONAL rubber and vinyl conditioner like Meguiar's Number 40 conditioner, applied sparingly with a cotton swab. Do not use Armour-All as the high silicone content will in time harden and damage the covering also.
As you most likely already know, rubber and vinyls worst enemy is UV radiation so do not leave your camera in direct sunlight.
RH.

Back