DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Foveon bought by Sigma

foveonfan

Surprised me. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the future holds now that Sigma has full control.

Sincere regards, Jim Roelofs

May you discover the light on your journey.

Surprised me. I guess we'll have to wait and see what the future holds now that Sigma has full control.

I believe that it says something positive about the future direction of Sigma with regard to Foveon and camera production.

One might say that until now, Sigma was a lens and strobe manufacturer that also made cameras. But the possibility always existed that they might retreat from the camera-making in favor of concentrating on their core business, especially in these economic times.

However, their purchase of Foveon seems to me to indicate that they have taken a firm decision to continue developing and manufacturing Sigma cameras and more specifically, Foveon-equipped Sigma cameras, and this I vew as a very good thing.

Win or lose, they have sent a very clear message about their future intentions.

Hello, Bill!

Not being privy to Sigma's inner circle of management and it's planning for the future, I can only say that the Foveon purchase does appear to confirm Sigma's confidence in the technology. I look forward, in due course, to continued development that results in exciting times ahead for the end users and financial success for Sigma.

Hi All,

though I suspect that SIGMA have never made real money with their D-SLR production, I am quite confident, that they now hold their efforts in the business.
Even if their camera-making should not be profitable, SIGMA's image wins through their ambitions to have their own camera and lens system.
Thus, SIGMA SA-mount clearly proves, that their range of lenses covers all the needs, a DSLR photographer might have.
I apreciate this decision very much. ;)

Be it ... they can never compete with Canon or Nikon ... they do not have to ... they do not even try to.... so what?!
I do not have to compete with Canon or Nikon photographers. I know, that a SIGMA can do most brilliant pictures ... that counts!

View attachment 743

See you with nice pictures

Klaus

Attachments

• sample 15.jpg
    EXIF
    sample 15.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 8
Back