CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

M7 Metering problems

M

mholdef

Had some odd experience this weekend. I loaded some Provia 400 into my M7, and when turning on camera on in Auto mode (with DX set to auto), instead of seeing "400" light up at for first few seconds, I saw "25" as the films speed. The camera seemed to have a mind of its own, and the speed at f8 in bright sunlight even read 1/30 of a second whereas I knew well indeed it had to be in vicinity of 1/500 of a second or so.

Very odd and frustrating to say the least !!! What I finally did was set the films speed manually to 400 ISO and all was OK afterwards.

Has anyone had such experience? Do I need to clean the DX contacts? Could it have been from 30° C heat and humidity?

Mark

C

Craig24

Mark

Sorry that I have no sugestions for your M7 DX problem. Just wondering if you have sorted it out yet. Was it camera problem or bad DX code?

regards craig

S

swann

Mark
I have somehow the same problem as you. On my M7 with DX set to auto at least one or two exposures per film roll go completely wrong. The camera overexposes dramatically. Without DX Auto i. e. Film Speed set manually i get no wrong exposures. BTW, I use normally Kodak RS 400 film, it happened with many other Films too. Strange enough, when switching the camera on, it flashed out always the correct ASA setting (but seemed not to use it).
Regards
Christoph

copiapoa

If when switching the camera on, it flashed out always the correct ASA setting, probably it overexpose or underexpose. Chek your camera sending = to Leica ...

pops

I just recently got an M7 but I tended not to turn off the meter by setting the lock. The batteries died after 2 weeks. Is this normal or does the camera have some sort of "power save" mechanism that is supposed to kick in? Also, the bottom battery tends to want to kick back out and not stay in - does anyone else have this happen ?

kren2000

If you leave your camera cocked and the lock off and then put it in your camera bag, what happens is that something can touch the shutter button and turn on the meter. Several hours of this can quickly drain your battery. So: 1) Leave your camera uncocked or 2) Lock it off

If it's draining anyway, you may have a genuine issue that you should take up with Leica.

The bottom battery does want to kick out, that's part of the design to make them easier to take out. When you put the battery cap on, it should be fine.

Karen

-- Karen Nakamura
Please, Log in or Register to view URLs content!

wbesz

Ken,

Karen's point is a good one.

In my case, the battery also died after about 2 weeks,
but I was adviced (correctly) to buy a new battery
before complaining to Leica.
Sure enough, 7 months have elapsed and still going.
There must be a problem with the original batteries.

Cheers, William

kren2000

Most manufacturers usually buy the cheapest batteries they can in bulk and keep them in stock for several years. So don't be surprised if your batteries die inordinately quickly the first time around.

Karen

melhjt

I experienced this, even with my M6TTL. One reason is that, for the M6, which has been around for some time, is that the cameras were manufactured some time ago and packaged with the battery and left on the shop shelves. Batteries do deteriorate over time, even when not in use. My original batteries died after less than a month, but my replacements have been going strong for the better of 6 months.

Melvin HJ Tan

colin

Leica uses Varta batteries...not cheapos. It does depend on how long it's been on the shelf though
I bought my M6 back when they first switched production to Solms (Panda version) I am still using original batteries. Honest!
Colin

wbesz

Just out out interest, my "in-box" M7 batteries
were "unmarked" brand (and good riddance to them).

William

mark1

William,
Unmarked batteries are not necessarily bad. Here in the US there are only 2 or 3 factories that produce batteries but a lot of brands, so buying a generic battery will get you the same product for less money. I could't say if this is the way things are done elsewhere. If your batteries that came with the camera were weak or dead they may have been old.

Mark

pops

The dealer took my body back today - 3 sets of batteries since August 1st even with being extra careful - 1 set loaded during the blackout was dead by the next day.
With no ATM's and not enough cash for my whole office I took the M7 and looked for an open camera store - I shot everything I could knowing that if I found one open I was going to offer to use it as collateral for a cash loan for the people walking home from my office who felt that they might be able to get taxi drivers to stop at ridiculous prices. Absent a gold standard it was the first thing I could think of in an emergency.

Let's see how my new M7 is.
Thanks for the advice -
Ken

M

mholdef

I just had the same experience as in my initial post when at top of the Empire State building yesterday. I had my M7 set to DX for film with ISO of 400.

After about 30 minutes in the cold (temperatures about -10 degrees celsius), my M7 stopped reading 400 ISO when switching back on, and camera registered an of 100 ISO. Even when setting film speed to 400 manually, it still read 100 to my immense frustration as I had to go to manual using my best guess.

Fortunately I had already shot 90% of what I had wanted to. Once camera was at room temperature for about 20 minutes, everything went back to normal.

It seems now with my first experience in Dubrovnik last summer, with temperatures of about 37 degrees celsius and high humidity, that the M7 can not take temperatures below 0 degrees or above 35 degrees celsius. This seems a bit light to me for such a costly camera.

Does this sound "usual" to anyone else shooting in moderately "extreme" conditions or does it come as a surprise?

Mark

wbesz

Mark,

It sounds to me there was a disconnection to the film cannister for some reason, either that or moisture condensation, and the camera's program defaulted to 100 (as in the instruction manual when it cannot see the cannister contacts).

I would have selected manual ISO 400 to see if this rectified the problem. Try this next time.

Cheers, William

M

mholdef

Thanks William,

I did do that yesterday, setting the film speed dial manually to 400, but when switching the camera on, I still got 100 as a reading.

Mark

wbesz

Mark,

Sorry to hear this, in that case it could be that the selection dial has disconnected at the low temperature, in which case this switch will need to be repaired/replaced.

(My comments are only from my experience in writing embedded programs, not from Leica)

If the program is otherwise running, then the camera program is not accessing the information from the switch.

William

M

mholdef

Thanks William

I've written to Leica and will see what they say

Camera is still under guarantee but always a hassle to lose a body for a number of weeks let alone having to pay shipping to Solms with insurance which usually runs 50-100 euros.

Mark

colin

Whenever I have had to send a camera/lens back under warranty (only Leica or Contax) I have always returned it to the store purchased from and never had to pay shipping back to Contax or Leica.(I would refuse).On one occasion Leica were really slow and loaned me a replacement body.
Colin

R

Rly1314

Hi,

I have metering problem with my M7. I used Fuji Superia 200 color film and set DX auto mode. The camera showed 200 when started up normally. When I used the aperture priority automatic exposure mode (Set to AUTO), the right-hand trianglar LED is always blinking when the shuttle speed exceed 2 seconds.
I read in user manual to show that it only flashes when the shuttle speed falls below the slowest possible speed of 32s. But this LED is always flashes when shuttle speeds exceed 2s. Is it normal or something wrong with the metering devices in my M7. Please advise!

Rick