DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Function of the FOVEON-microlenses

My two cents....

A professor has created a substance called...Black Silicone...back in 1999 and people have been trying to incorporate this substance into solar cells and imaging products.....take a look at the links below...

This will probably produce sharper and realistic picture taking in the future...who knows when this will happen 5, 10, 20 years....but this will probably be the next thing for camera's.....your talking about 1000 gig files here...or more...

# 1 Info on Black Silicone

Inventor of Black Silicone

Black Silicone NY Times

Last Link....LOL

Now so far from what I read....(Quote)"Black silicon is a highly light-absorbent material that can absorb nearly all visible light, almost doubling the amount that regular silicon can absorb. It can also detect infrared light that regular silicon-based devices can not and it can be used as an efficient field emitter." Right now they say the sensitivity is about 100 times that of regular silicone....and it really reduce noise in pictures....so your ISO settings are about to go thru the roof...

Hope this little bit of information helps someone out.....

Tony C.

Kakou said: QUOTE Statements like that are what makes people think Foveon users are a bunch of wackos.END QUOTE

Before you start accusing anyone of throwing insults around, you may want to re-acquaint yourself with the above. ;)

Where did i call anyone a wacko?

Just in case I was not clear, what I said was a statement such as "Foveon is better than any other camera regardless of its pixel count" is the kind of statement that can cause people to start bashing.

Dear all,

in contrast to other photo forums on the internet, our forums are moderated. That means that our moderators of the forum follow each thread/posting and make sure that the netiquette is respected and that discussions are not going emotionally into directions, nobody afterwards actually wanted to have.

So please discuss different opinions on a neutral level without emotions that - by purpose or not - could hurt each other. We are a Sigma community here that shall enjoy discussing different opinions about subjects. Different opionions are good, as long as they are discussed "in the right manner".

It is our hobby and therefore it shall be fun to meet and discuss here in our spare time ;)

Thank you for your understanding in advance. Wish you a good day to all of you.

A professor has created a substance called...Black Silicone...back in 1999 and people have been trying to incorporate this substance into solar cells and imaging products.....take a look at the links below...

This will probably produce sharper and realistic picture taking in the future...who knows when this will happen 5, 10, 20 years....but this will probably be the next thing for camera's.....your talking about 1000 gig files here...or more...

# 1 Info on Black Silicone

Inventor of Black Silicone

Black Silicone NY Times

Last Link....LOL

Now so far from what I read....(Quote)"Black silicon is a highly light-absorbent material that can absorb nearly all visible light, almost doubling the amount that regular silicon can absorb. It can also detect infrared light that regular silicon-based devices can not and it can be used as an efficient field emitter." Right now they say the sensitivity is about 100 times that of regular silicone....and it really reduce noise in pictures....so your ISO settings are about to go thru the roof...

Hope this little bit of information helps someone out.....

Tony C.
Luis,

Just in case you missed me the first time I posted...

Thanks..

Tony C.

No I didnt miss it Tony. I was just bussy dealing with uncalled for agression that I hope it ended thanks to a timely called to civility by Dirk . Thanks Dirk.

Toni ,You have raised two excellent points here , one is that the SD14 is an excellent camera for Infrared imagery , and the other is that new discoveries about Silicon are opening new promising avenues to Foveon Sensors.

For IR use all you need is to remove the Dust Filter that doubles as an Infrared Filter and then attach a Filter to the Lens itself to block Visible Light. Schneider Kreuzcnak makes some of the best filters available in Schottt glass , under the B+W label . from their catalog the B+W 093 seems to be the one to use since it blocks the entire Visible Spectrum.

You can find these filters on eBay

Regarding your excellent links to Black Silicon new findings , quoting " Apparently light sensors using black silicon are 100 times more sensitive to visible light than conventional silicon sensors, allowing a pixel 1-micrometer in size to produce the same signal as a traditional pixel 10-micrometer in size."

This new technological break trough can benefit Foveon sensors dramatically , since having more sensitivity allows the inclusion of additional layers to resolve for non primary colors , that right now cannot be measured but must be Derived , such as Yellow , Violet , etc. . Not only that, since the initial findings point to diminished noise , it can cure the basic problem of each Foveon layer contributing electronic noise to the total noise.

Excellent!! Thanks Toni . I am eager to see more of your SD14-R pictures.

Luis

Viewfinder...

Luis,

Do you know of a way to convert the SD14 so that you can still use the viewfinder when taking pictures...??? I know about using just a filter and taking out the dust filter....but you have to wing it for focusing...

Thank you.

Tony C.

Luis,

Do you know of a way to convert the SD14 so that you can still use the viewfinder when taking pictures...??? I know about using just a filter and taking out the dust filter....but you have to wing it for focusing...

Thank you.

Tony C.

Right , sorry I meant your SD14-F not SD14-R .

I still havent gone that deep into an SD camera , but I will one day .

In the mean time there are a lot of peoploe doing this kind of surgery for Astrophotography. I guess they have a better budget than me.

Here is one :
http://www.hapg.org/camera%20mods.htm

Maybe they will be amenable to work on Sigma cameras instead of their customary Canons.

Another group of people are doing the same for Landscape Infrared photography , I think you already mentioned this one , but here it goes for the benefit of others:
http://www.lifepixel.com/shop/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1

Please pay a visit to my friend Kong Mangkornkan that is doing Magnificent Infrared Panoramic HDR photography with a Leica converted SD14 here:

http://web.me.com/kongm/TNPCustomerTour2008/Photos.html#0

Here is sample of his work, it looks very well focused and quite sharp for IR.
View attachment 878

I f you are interested on seing his beautifull HDR SD14 color pictures please go to:
http://web.me.com/kongm/HDR_Photography/Pictures.html#0

Attachments

• _MG_5438_39_40Enhancer.jpg
    EXIF
    _MG_5438_39_40Enhancer.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 12
IR Conversion...

Luis,

Thank you again...

I have already done the modification with lifepixel....

D100 Standard IR
D100 Enhanced IR
D100 Clear Filter

I choose this camera due to how easy it is to get in and out of it...I do not mind opening the camera's and moding them...just have not seen it for the SD14...I would love to do one of these mod's on it to see how it takes pictures...

Your friends work is outstanding...thank you for sharing..

Tony C.

No I didnt miss it Tony. I was just bussy dealing with uncalled for agression that I hope it ended thanks to a timely called to civility by Dirk . Thanks Dirk.

If you are referring to me, there's no aggression here. If I appeared that way, it was certainly not my intention.

As the moderators said, having different opinions is good. It provokes thought, discussion and an exchange of ideas. Everyone wins.

Something doesn't quite add up about their claims. Today we have cameras with sensors that have relatively high quantum efficiency, or the rate at which photons are converted into electrons. According to Foveon, the sensor in the SD-9 has a QE of 49%. That means that for every two photons that hit the sensor, one electron is produced. The best one can do is double the sensitivity (one electron per incident photon), not multiply it by 100x.

If they do output mulitple electrons per incident photon, they are in essence implementing a photomultiplier and that means the noise also gets multiplied, something they neglect to mention. Like the old saying goes, you can't get water out of a stone. However, it does sound like it may help with infrared imaging and possibly solar energy panels.

Back