CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

Macro Lens

G

Hi as someone experience with zeiss macro lens ?
Today i owe a tamron f2,5 (old model); i have heard that zeiss 100 macro is the best,(but i have to say also in price) and i would like to understand if there are important quality difference betwen the two. (i use tamron only for bugs and flower shot).
Thank you

G

I had the Tokina 2.5/90 macro that is said to be identical to the Tamron. Compared to my Zeiss 2.8/100, the Tokina held quite well in terms of sharpness, but the slides were a tad less contrasty and clearly more yellowish. I think the most obvious differences are the warmer colour transmission of the Tokina and the 1:1-capability of the Zeiss without tube. I you can live with the colour cast, you should seriously consider to stay with your (btw highly reputed and solidly built) Tamron. I could not, paid quite a few bucks but never regretted.

rpnagel

What are your experiences with the "compact" YASHICA ML 2.8/55mm Macro (up to 1:2, 1:1 with extension tube)?
Rainer

rpnagel

Yashica55mmf28macro picz 300x300pixel

matthias

In my opinion it has only one disadvantage: It is too short, after using it for a while I would prefer to have a 90-100mm.

The optical and mechanical quality is astonishingly good, so if you think you need a 55mm-Macro, then it will be a very good choice.

matthias

D

dja

>>In my opinion it has only one disadvantage: It is too short, after using it for a while I would prefer to have a 90-100mm.

The optical and mechanical quality is astonishingly good, so if you think you need a 55mm-Macro, then it will be a very good choice. <<

That is a very correct summary of the 55mm macro. This lens is VERY good optically but you have precious little working space. With an extension tube for 1:1 you are almost touching your subject. But again, this is a problem with any 50-60mm macro, not only the Yashica.

But if you can work within the limits of this type of lens, you CANNOT beat the quality for what this lens goes for second hand.

Dave

rpnagel

I agree, 55mm is too short. I already have a 100 macro, even this is too short. But 55mm is OK for quick food photography in a restaurant where one would have to stand on the chair with the 100mm Macro :).

How about COLOR rendition? color contrast is not up to the Zeiss? This is hearsay (Geruecht) Yashica ML has warmer color as said in a japanese magazine. --Rainer

I found the ML 4/55 macro second hand
at a very good price and I am playing with it

At the moment I am satisfied with the build quality
(it seems a rock!)
and the optical quality...
Can anyone tell me the optical differences with the brighter version?
Just to know...

Thank you very much
Paolo