DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss 100/3.5 - To buy or not to buy?

> [I own both lenses. Although both lenses are very good performers for sharpness, I would say the 100mm has a definite edge, especially at wide open apertures and over the entire picture area. It is also considerably smaller and lighter. If I want to do some informal portraits, it is my lens of choice. It focuses down to 1 meter, compared to 1.6 on the 135mm. I have been in and out of Contax a few times and I have always sought and bought this lens, in AE and MM mounts. Note, you cannot use the 1.4 converter with the 100mm]

Both lenses are great. The 100mm you can shoot wide open at f3.5 and it's still extremely sharp. Very compact lens and one of the sharpest. That said, I love the 135mm too.. but it's much heavier and larger. Mike

again, any experience on FLARE? If yes, with which body? Every Portrait lens (85mm) tested in FotoMagazin flares a lot!

Besides, f=100mm works a little bit better with the poor 1/125s flash sync of many contax bodies.... Only 159MM and RTS III do a 1/250s X-Sync

Ole, I think I saw one on ebay a few days ago, which may still be around. Not sure if it was an AE or MM.

Flare is a characteristic of the lens. The body wouldn't influence flare. If you can find it for a decent price you should go for it.

Oh ya, from what I've read (I think it was from a photo mag test) the 100/3.5 is more susceptible to flare then the 135/2.8. By how much I don't know. But if it was significant I'm sure you'd see some criticism.

> I wonder if the magazine tested the lens without an appropriate lenshood. Unlike the 135, the 100 f3.5 lens does not come with an integrated hood. I have shot high-key, brightly lit portraits with this lens with stunning clarity and contrast.

Back