Manual Focus telebs

G

Hello,

I currently own an Aria w/ a 50mm lens. I would like to add at least one telephoto lens. Howver, I am concerned about the balance of these longer lenses when mounted to the lighter body of the Aria. Can anyone suggest which lenses are a good match for the Aria and will not make it easy to handle the camera and avoid camera shake w/o a tripod. I am considering the following lenses: 85mm 1.4 or 2.8, 135mm, 180mm, 200mm, or 80-200mm zoom.
Thanks
Jim

G

I have an Aria and the 85mm 1.4. I find the lens just tolerable in terms = of weight and would probably go for the much cheaper but optically = comparable 85mm 2.8 instead unless the extra speed is important. But if = you don't mind lugging it around, I think you'll be fine with an Aria + = 85mm/1.4. I think the 135mm is almost exactly the same weight as the 85mm = 1.4.

G

Jim,

I have an Aria and an AX and have used both with my 80-200 f4. To my surprise, the 80-200 is easier to handle on the Aria than it is on the AX. The Aria body is quite small in my big hands, and I find the longer lens gives me something more substantial to hold onto with my left hand. Aria plus 80-200 feels very good to handle. In contrast, the AX is a large body that feels good to hold, but being a bit heavy, the AX feels better with shorter lenses so that both hands are close to the centre of gravity of the body. I usually use the 35-70 f3.4 on the AX and the 80-200 on the Aria. They both feel great to handle in this combination.

G

Jim,

Craig may have a point with the difference of center of gravity between the AX and the Aria.
I think the Aria was "made" for the 50/1.4 while the RX mates very well with the 85/1.4. A good general tele lens for the Aria is the 135/2.8. it is crystal clear with wonderful contrast...almost too sharp fr a portrait lens. But its application is very wide. The weight balance for me has always been just right. If you can find a store an play with the lenses on a body this is the best decision process. I in the end always find it much less nerve racking to focus anything beyond 85mm with the aid of a tripod otherwise my viewfinder becomes "jumpy" and gives me a headache !

Alan