DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Sigma and Tamron for Minolta

G

gonecamping

[Is it just me but are there other people out there that are a little tired of companies like Sigma and Tamron not making their entire line of lenses available to Minolta users? Take the new Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX, available only on Nikon and Canon mounts. I sent off an email today to Sigma USA to ask if there are plans on making this specific lens available to Minolta users, and the reply was: "no plans at this time." This lens is amazing and a real deal, considering the Minolta APO 300mm F2.8 is going for about $5,600.00 Canadian and the Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX is selling for $3,300.00 Canadian. I've considered going to Nikon or Canon for this simple reason, but compared to my Maxxum 7, there really isn't anything worth getting unless I go to the F100 or EOS 3. More money of course but a better camera? Not convinced, and just to have access to all the Sigma and Tamron lens'... Not convinced once again..

Sorry for venting.... just my thoughts of course.

Ivan]

> What? Tamron NOT making their entire range of lenses for Minolta? You got THAT wrong!!! Tamron even makes adapters to allow their manual focus lenses to not oly work on Minolta manual focus cameras, but also on Minolta auto focus cameras, too! And, Tamron designed the original > T-mount system of interchangeable lenses. Tamron is not the problem. Join up at http://www.smartgroups.com/groups/tamronlenses > until "admin" makes a "tamroninfo" !!! ;-) Sigma and Tokina auto focus lenses aren't always compatible anyway even if they fit, and Sigma has also abandoned then Pentax mount with some of their new lenses. Just exactly what lenses are you lookin' at that you want for your Minolta > that you can't get? Tell us more!!!

[Sorry, I shouldn't have bashed Tamron, I was kinda venting and lumped in all third party lenses in my bitch session. Does Tamron make an AF 300mm F2.8 to fit on a Minolta mount? As I mention before, Sigma has come out with a sweet 120-300mm F2.8 EX that sells for about $3,300. This is about $2,200 cheaper than Minolta's prime 300mm APO F2.8. (Canadian$$) The big problem is that it's only for Nikon and Canon users.
sad.gif
I looked up your smartgroups.com site and you seem to know your Tamron lenses! What would you recommend for someone like me that is looking for a well built, fast, large aperture autofocus lens between 200 and 500mm? Your input is appreciated. ]

> The Tamron manual focus 300mm f/2.8 with Adaptall2 will fit and work on Minolta auto focus cameras in manual focus mode (of course), and in manual aperture stop down mode in P Program auto exposure and A Aperture priority mode, and of course in Manual exposure mode, and they can be > had for US$998 used if you shop aggressively. Here's Tamron's current AF auto focus offering:

Tamron AF "Standard" lenses (all zooms):

» AF19-35mm F/3.5-4.5 » AF28-80mm F/3.5-5.6 Aspherical » AF28-105mm F/4-5.6 (IF) » AF28-200mm F/3.8-5.6 XR Aspherical (IF) Super Zoom » NEW AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Aspherical (IF) Ultra Zoom » AF70-300mm F/4-5.6 LD 1:2 Macro » AF75-300mm F/4-5.6 LD Macro » AF80-210mm F/4.5-5.6 » AF200-400mm F/5.6 LD (IF)

Tamron "Super Performance" AF lenses:

» SP AF20-40mm F/2.7-3.5 Aspherical (IF) » SP AF24-135mm F/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical (IF) » SP AF28-105mm F/2.8 LD Aspherical (IF)

» SP AF28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) » SP AF180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) 1:1 Macro

(see http://www.tamron.com/di.htm for more on Tamron's new Di lenses)

» SP AF14mm F/2.8 Aspherical (IF) Rectilinear » SP AF90mm F/2.8 1:1 Macro » SP AF300mm F/2.8 LD (IF)

So ... there's your AF300mm f/2.8!

And don't forget teleconverters - again, SP = Super Performance (world class):

» AF1.4X Teleconverter » SP AF1.4X Teleconverter » AF2X Teleconverter » SP AF2X Teleconverter

The Tamron AF 300mm f/2.8 sells for US$2999 new and as low as US$1299 used - see http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ and search for [tamron 300] in new, then used.

Tell us what you do!

>

Back