DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

M6TTL battery screw cover

vishalvora

Dear all,

I am after a CROSS HEADED battery screw cover for my TTL. I saw one a while back one someone else's camera, not only did it look cool but it would make opening far easier. I suffer from the problem of having to tighten the screw cap all the time, I am worried about over doing it as I may never be able to access the batteries.

Can anyone suggest where I may find such a screw cap?

Many thanks,

Vishal
www.vPhotographic.com

Hello Vishal,
I had problem with my M6, that it was always difficult to open the cap, to change the battery.
It exists one solution. For the M7, Leica have made two different cap, one like the M6 version, with lether, and one other that is only plastic and where you can use a coin to open it.
I think it can be a solution.
Laurent

Not strictly true, Laurent. The battery compartment on the M7 is TOTALLY DIFFERENT, with a different method of attachment; it is held in place by a bayonet, not a screw thread.

It is NOT interchangable with the M6 or M6TTL. Vishal, you need an M6/M6TTL battery compartment cover with a slotted head. I used to have one. I don't know the serial number; however if you contact a reputable dealer or the Leica distributor in your country they should be able to help.

Regards,

Bill

Vishal, What you are looking for is a standard Leica replacement part. Contact your nearest dealer or distributor to get one. Happy Snaps, Sal

I never have seen the M7. But when I asked to the importer, in Switzerland, they sayd me that it was the part for M7, and I received it, and it is not bayonet, it is with a screw.
In Switzerland the part number is X442299805010, and the price in january was 42.40 SwissFrancs plus tax.
I dont know if it can help you, but it works.
Good luck
Laurent

Hi Laurent,

If it is screw, then it is not for an M7, regardless of what your dealer says. I had an M6, and kept my slotted cover to use on my new M7; when I took delivery a few weeks later, I discovered that the fitment was totally different, due to the different battery compartment inside. The batteries in the M7 sit vertically inside the body, instead of horizontally as in the old M6 design. It's a bit like loading shells into a shotgun! I gave my slotted cover to another Leica friend a couple of years ago.

Regards,

Bill

Hello all,

Thanks for all your input. I have been quoted here £30 for a new cap, I think this is a little steep! I would very much appreciate buying one second hand instead. If you have details please mail me at vishal@vPhotographic.com

Many thanks,

Vishal.

Hi all,

Can someone advise me on how to open an M6TTL battery compartment cover that seems to be completely stuck. If only I can open it, I will get the replacement slotted cover right away, for sure.

Kind regards,

Carl E Sjøgren

If it is really stuck, try putting on a rubber glove and gripping the edge and turning.
If you are going to replace it, you could try gently and slowly drilling a hole in it. Then you could slip in a pair of needle nose pliers and unscrew it.
Colin

I've never owned and M6 but from what Colin advised, it appears to unscrew. Therefore, I suggest using a tiny bit of Ronsonol lighter fluid, gently applying around the screw head. Then I would buy --at a dollar store or a hardware store -- those self stick rubber pads about the size of an American nickle. Cut the pad to the size of the screw head and stick the paid on top of the screw head. The turn it counter-clockwise. If that doesn't work, I believe any competent camera repair person should be able to help.-- bob cole

Back