DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Film Technical Information

G

I have been putting the Contax T3 through its paces with Velvia for the past 6 months. I now would like to photograph low-lit street scenes and interiors without flash, using high speed transparency film. I would also like maximum grain. So if anyone has any ideas on films, ratings and processing, I would appreciate it.

I would also like to use Agfa's Scala film. I believe there are two ISO options with this film. How can I select one ot the other using the Contax T3 (there doesnt seem to be a manual ISO settings button).

Thank you for any help with the two queries.

Best regards

Greg

Hi Greg.

I do not have an answer for the first question. I never shot faster than iso 100, but I will try this in the furure.

For the second question (Contax T3 Iso setting):

The T3 does not have a separate Iso setting. You have to modify the Iso by setting under/overexposure in 1/2 or 1/3 stops. This you can costumize in the costum functions. It saves the information even if you turn the camera off.

Hi.
Available in UK, and I would assume in other countries are self applied DX labels. Maybe you could label one batch for one ISO, and leave another as the alternate ISO???

Greg,

A little bit late off course but regarding the Scala question:
Scala can be used at 100/200/400/800/1600 ISO.
I have used at at 100/1600 and it is a marvel. 100 ISO gives you very sharp results. 1600 ISO gives raw grains that you would like to see (especially when underexposed 0.5 EV).

I can recommend it.

Can anyone help with the issue of slide film development? I am aware of the problems of having colour negative film developed and printed at minilabs, but does the same apply to having slide film developed at minilabs? Is there a difference between having slide film developed at minilabs compared to pro labs. Thanks for any advice.

Steve

[One problem you have to be aware of is, that some minilabs develop only few slide films. So chemicals are not always "fresh" with the correct PH, density etc. etc. Pro labs develop slide film every day, so everthing here is usually fine tuned for optimum results]

I believe that most minilabs send slide film somewhere else for development, so there is a 1 or 2 day turn-around and more chance of losing the film.

The pro lab I use for slides has a 3 hour turn-around time, only costs about half a US dollar more than the local photo shop, and is in the Kodak Q-Lab program (they send s&les of their chemistry to Kodak periodically for checking). I've also had far fewer scratches. Luckily it's only 15 minutes from where I work.

Gary

Slide film developing can vary prolab to prolab.Find one you like and stick with it. I use a lot of Kodak and take it to a lab that indicates it's a Kodak Q lab. They're supposed to be certified by Kodak to have high qualiy. So any slide film you take should be handle properly. Should be. I'm not sure if the Q lab thing is worldwide or North American. Jeff

Most "mini-labs" are not equiped to process slide film. they just do C41 negative color. Some camera shops might have E-6 available if they have professional customers. My experience is that you should find a lab that deals with pros and that has Kodak's blessing as an E-6 lab. There are problems that can occur with E-6 if the lab does not follow Kodak's quality control proceedures. I went to E-6 class at a Kodak training center when the process was first introduced. Some small labs do not do well with E-6 because they don't have their technicians trained. Hope this helps.

Jim

I'm not sure if the Q lab thing is worldwide or > North American.

Some labs here in South Africa are Q lab rated , so it must be worldwide . I believe Fuji have a similar program for some of their Pro labs too , but not sure what its called or how it might work . Steve >

Back