DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

G

What is your experience with the R6/R6.2?

Now that it is discontinued, is there any hope for a new all mechanical R-body?

Dirk, the only truly succesful mechanical 35mm left is the Nikon FM3A. Why? It can be used as a backup to AF Nikons and has a huge lens stable to pick from. Mechanical cameras are dying off and the fact that the M7 is partially electronic tells you that there will probably never be any new truly-mechanical cameras in the future. Even Hasselblad, Rollei and other saw the light years ago.

Chuck

Charles,

after having attended the Leica Forum Meeting at the Photokina, I can tell you that the "case mechanical camera à la R6.2" is not yet closed.

The dead of the R6.2 was decided already years ago, since the shutter-producer announced the discontinuation of the R6.2 shutter.

So there was a "last order" for this R6.2 shutter (as typical in the camera industry) and as soon as this stock is sold, the end of the camera arrives.

Because of different reasons it was at that time not possible for Leica to use shutters of i.e. Nikon etc.

Since Leica is not a multi-billion-company it needs time for financing and developping new projects.

So my guess is that although there might be no successor within the next 12 months, in the long run it is very likely to have a new mechanical body - if Leica users then still want to have one...

dirk

>>>if Leica users then still want to have one<<<

As long as there's still Kodachrome I'll want a mechanical-shutter camera. My fantasy is that Leica will develop this camera from either the SL2 or R8/R9 body shell, not a modified R6.x. The smaller cameras are handy for hiking or with smaller lenses but I don't get a good enough grip on them when using long lenses. BTW the grip on the R winder was "the last straw" for my R4sP. When using the grip and the 400mm f/6.8 my right hand was painfully contorted, and I couldn't reach the mode switch or shutter speed dial.

I do not think at all that an SLR-line with just one body is survivable. They should come with a (smaller!) alternative to "the brick".

For sure, there are Leica-"sympathizers" who do want neither an RF nor today's big R8/9.

Considering the mechanical renaissance in other luxury products, the conclusion is a fully mechanical R6.3 with low cost of development, such as Nikon FM3A.

But perhaps the whole engineering staff is working on the R9 digital???

> I tends to agree here, a Leica R6.3 will be an interesting addition to the Leica R portfolio. Today's big R8 and R9 might not attract the whole population, and a smaller fully mechanical R6 design will appeal to many. But if Leica Camera AG is spending all the man power to develop a Leica R Digital... that will be at least a great news to many of us.

R6 VS R6.2....can anyone tell me the real difference in the two camera above the shutter speed difference and the obvious? They seem like the same camera to me, but I cannot seem to find out any information about the "insides" of the two models to compare. Funny, you can buy a R6 for about $5-600.00, but try to buy a used R6.2 and you will pay up to $1300!!! Is there THAT much differenct between the two cameras????

To my way of thinking the R8 is fantastic for shooting either portait, studio or general activities i.g.weddings, but if its a good light action camera for general abuse and fantastic pictures in extremely tough trench situations then you want a Nikon F3 HP with or without the motor-drive,sorry.

Differences between the R6 and R6.2: Not all that many but, as I understand it, the R6.2 was given an improved shutter mechanism, top speed of 1/2000 sec, an exposure counter that's easier to read and a light meter that's more sensitive.

I come into this thread because I'm presently expanding my M photography to include an R capability. I was looking for a back up body to support the R9. The choice of a robust mechanical camera to my (somewhat old fashioned) way of thinking is a good mix of technologies. Years of wilderness photography has instilled in me a certain distrust of batteries and electonic shutters.

I was surprised to belatedly learn that Leica has dropped the R6.2, and have settled for a SH R6. Because nobody will give up their SLs and SL2s!!!

It is my beleif that there is a market for a mechanical SLR with horizontal travelling shutter that gives 1/2000. There are plently of folk out there still using SLs, Canon F1s, and Nikon F2s and F3s for that matter. I remember photojournos complaining about loosing their F3s for the vertical shuttered F4s. Despite the fact the F3 wasn't good in the wet.

I don't know whether it is technically possible to have the aditional ability to shoot flash off the second curtain on a mechanical shutter mechanism. But it would be very handy. BTW the dual mechanical/electonic governed shutter of the Canon New F1 was very good. The operation wasn't as smooth as you get with a Leica but in all other repects it was a well thought out manual system.

If only Solms would bring out an updated mech. SLR along the lines of the SL models. I always wanted a new M3 and now I can, with the MP. Lets hope there is something special down the track with the Rs.

I'm interested in others views on mechanical SLRs and horizontal shutters.

craig

Back