DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

M6 Shutter bInnacuracyb vs M7 Electronic Shutter

Thanks Colin - I'm also happy I made the right choice (with the help of everyone who responded on the list) for my particular needs right now - if in time I feel that I would like an M7, the beauty of Leica gear is that it doesn't depreciate much so I shouldn't lose much on an upgrade. Somehow though, I feel like I'm going to have this M6 for a long time and take many wonderful photos with it! I'd love a copy of the Pop Photo's test, if you wouldn't mind mailing it that would be great - I'll send you a private message with my address. Cheers, James

Hi All --
Received my camera this morning - seems very nice - all boxed and I would say its in mint condition, I can't see a mark on it! One thing I need to ask you about straight away though:
When focussing in the viewfinder, the two images align perfectly horizontally, but one is noticably higher than the other so they never meet up vertically...
Is this something wrong? Am I using the camera incorrectly? Does the rangefinder just need adjusting? Please advise as I'm new to this type of camera as you know...
Secondly, the lens looks absolutely pristine, but there are a couple of specs of dust internally. I've been told on a couple of occasions this is normal on older lenses and not cause for concern, is this true?
Many thanks!
James

Addendum to the last post:

I've found that if I put my eye closer to the eyepiece (close enough that my eyelashes touch), this vertical difference disappears. So I don't know whether this was just me not being used to these finders.

I am using a Leica -1 diopter adjuster too, so I guess that might make a difference. I'd still like any advice anyone might care to offer though!

Thanks,
James

Uh... OK I think it was just me getting used to the viewfinder/rangefinder. I was trying to look at things too close before I'd got used to centering my eye in the finder. Everything seems to line up OK now...
Beautiful camera - its ingenious and so well built. Love the metering and the way its really accurate within f-stops. Love the focusing now I've got it worked out, so bright and precise. Love the feel of the camera's weight in the hand too...
Can you get spare lens caps anywhere? This one came boxed with a rear lens cap and its proper lens hood and Leica UVa filter, but no actual lens cap...

James

James

You should be able to get lens caps from the dealer from whom you bought the camera. I take it you are in the UK since you gave the price in £stg, I usually use Ffordes (ffordes.com) for Leica accessories mail order. Sometimes it takes a few days if they don't have the particular bit in stock.

Have fun with your M6.

Mike

James, Don't worry about the dust spots. (are you sure they aren't bubbles?)
I think your dealer should get you a lens cap for no charge. You're just embarking on Leica ownership; it would be a prudent business move for them to "accomodate" you.
I'd forgotten how quick mail delivery is in the uk. Over here , Postal "Service" is an oxymoron.
Glad that everything seems okay.
Colin

Thanks Mike -- I spoke with Ffordes a couple of times before buying as they had some interesting kit. I ended up purchasing from Richard Caplan and I must say they've been brilliant. The camera is in much better condition than they described, all boxed with original jewel cases and all and came very promptly and carefully packed. Genuinely the only thing 'missing' has been a lens cap. I'll see if they or Ffordes have one they can mail out. Don't worry, I'm already enjoying the Leica a great deal! All the best, James

Hi Colin -

I'll call them tomorrow and ask them about the lens cap. I've been very impressed with their service though considering I ordered it yestearday at 4pm and it arrived with me 11am (and I live on an island!).

I think it is dust in the lens (to my untrained eye) - minute specks (two) but dark-ish and slightly irregular shaped. You'd only notice them if you were really looking at the lens carefully, like you do with a new one. How would I tell if they were bubbles though, and would this be a bad thing?

I also had a look at camera bags - the Billingham ones that double as ordinary bags and into which you can slip A4 folders would be brilliant for me, as I'm a writer and tend to carry just such things around with me. I also like the neat little CCS Heritage series in Khaki too though. I have a CCS classi for my SLR which has done a sterling job of protection in all kinds of environments (desert to alpine) for over ten years and never let me down) so I know they're well made.

It just occurred to me how amusing this must be for all you established Leica guys - me getting all excited about it - sorry, but I can't help it, I'm having a great time and I can't tell you how satisfying it is to have something that's well made (to last a lifetime) in this modern everything-is-disposable world...

James

--

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." -A. Einstein

James, Bubbles would appear clear. Just like a bubble suspended in the glass. They are the result of very slow cooling that lens glass is subjected too. it is neither a "+" or "-".
As far as the amusement quotient..it goes with the territory. The satisfaction that comes of being a Leicaphile.
Colin

I've noticed that, intermittently, when the shutter is cocked and you press the release part way to meter, the metering lights in the viewfinder don't come on. Sometimes nothing will happen, sometimes they'll flash on for the briefest instant then disappear. Then a few releases later, they'll appear completely bright and normal again. Am I doing something silly again, or do I need to send the camera back to be looked at? James

Back