DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2

Hi, I am in need of some advice. I have a G2 in very good condition with 90mm, 45 mm and 28 mm lenses. I am very happy with, beautiful pictures. I recently bought a second hand 21 mm lens which is in absolutely new condition. When I connect the lens to the body all the functions, autofocus, aperture control and light metering seems to work well and I can make pictures (I ndid not yet develop these however), except that the lens does not lock in the body. I cannot turn the lens any further, but it just does not seem to trigger the lock mechanism. I have compared to all my other lenses, but I can see no reason, it must be a minute difference in the adjustment of the various partsof the bajonet of the lens. Is there anyone with the same experience. What is the reason and do I have to have both the camera and the lens to be adjusted to each other??

Hi! I like Contax G2. And I like Nikon F5 too. So, which Contax G2 or Nikon F5 is better? I love to take some beautiful landscapes and also travel. I have my Nikon F3, F2AS, FM2, Canon A-1 and old minolta model. I am thinking of upgrading to either Contax G2 or Nikon F5. I know that the Leica M7 is the best but it is too expensive for me. Any feedback will be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

>Some pro-G2 points: Consider the weight of the F5. At 1200g It is much heavier than the typical SLR and just about twice the weight of the G2. You already have a collection of SLR'<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• a RF gives you a different "feel," which is worthwhile. It's hard to be specific about what I mean here, but one aspect is that I feel less conspicuous with the G2, more comfortable on the street. That's going to affect your images.

> Some ideas about the switch to contax g2

I have been working with a contax SLR (RTS) for a long time and last yera I decide to buy a Contax G2 set. I can only be positive about the outcome, the camera is leight fast and the lenses are perfectly sharp, I never regret this decision and can only encourage you to do so. Don't forget that even Leica doesn't have autofocus and the lenses quality is more or less equal. If you are interested in this discussion you might find these reviews usefull, even if I dont agree on everything
happy.gif

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~recb/contax_g/review.htm

Jan Brouckaert

F5 and G2 are totally different camera's with totally different uses. If you plan on travelling and landscape, the G2 kit may be the way to go. Just for comparison, The entire G2 kit (G2, 28, 35, 45, 90, w/hoods and caps, TLA 200, remote cable, P-8 external pack) weighs less than my F100 with 1 lens mounted for travel (tokina 24-200mm) and flash (SB-28DX). If you plan on doing Telephoto and Macro shots then F5/F100 may be the way to go. The F5 is .5 lb (apprx.) heavier than the F100 that I use, so you will be lugging around a lot of extra weight.

Basically you need to decide what you will need the equipment for.

Another point for comparison, For the price of the F5 body only - you can get the G2 w/ 28, 45, 90mm lens (import) and maybe some other G2 accessories.

If you enjoy travel, you should seriously consider how much weight--and bulk--you want to carry. The F5 is an amazing camera that does far more things than the G2 can, but I'm not sure you can do better than a G2 kit for landscape photography. The G system's main shortcoming is the lack of a true telephoto lens, such as a 135. Here, Nikon has the advantage. Also, only an SLR will give you macro capabilities.

But the G system's standard and wide angle lenses are the equal of the world's best, and are very light and compact compared to their SLR equivalents. The G2 system makes a great travel rig.

--Rick

Thanks, Bernard, Jan, Almon and Rick for your feedbacks. I agree with you guys about the weight and different purposes. I wonder which one would provide a good quality. I know that both will give you the best quality. This is why it is not easy to choose one of them. Of course the important is to buy what you need and use it, not waste. Thanks again.

Back