DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax ND

OK. Thanks for all the feedback. How about this for plan B. I sell off the Pentax 6x7 system, the Hassel 500c and 105 lens and buy the Contax 645 system. Buy the digital back for the 645 fom Kodak and wait for the N digital to be fixed. My only concern would be moving from a 6x7 format to 645. I know Contax glass is great, but I doubt it could make up for the loss of negative size. Having said that, I'm not sure how much neg/trannie work I'd be doing as time goes on. I have the Epson 2200 and I'm getting the 7600, so I may not be shooting that much traditionally. I could be worrying about nothing.

Broadway Camera's ad says "Factory Fresh",
NOT Contax USA backed warranty. Read the ad.
It says nothing about a warranty. These discounters get stuff from overseas and sell them Gray Market, which is okay for some mechanical lenses that have been in production for decades. But a brand new digital camera without any warranty. Not I., thank you.

Gareth, I don't think you will regret the "Plan B"
senario. You're going to find the 645 with Kodak back faster shooting anyway. The images download to the Kodak back faster than the ND by a lot (when shooting to a card verses shooting to the computer, which is slower). I rarely have to wait for the Kodak back to load (if ever), where I am always waiting for the ND to catch up. 3 rapid ND shots on full tiff is a crime for a 35mm type SLR

As far as the match to 6X7, 645 film won't even come close, but then either would the ND. The Kodak back on the other hand will give 6X7 a run for the money (it'll provide plenty of resolution and smooth tones, but it will look different than film in certain ways).

I have to say, in 25 years,this is the most difficult decision I've ever had to make concerning purchasing equipment. I might stick with film for a little longer, scan with the Polaroid Sprintscan 120 when I need to "digitize" an image, and continue playing with my Fuji Finepix 3.1MPX point and shoot! It's amazing how much time is spent researching and learning digital photography....and all I want to do is take pictures!!

Gareth, smartest post on this forum to date. There is nothing wrong with film, and 6X7 transparency film and B&W scans beautifully on the Polaroid 120 (which I also use to scan 6X7 film from my Mamiya RZII and 7II.)

The only caution could be whether to keep the Pentax, which can't be converted to digtal. Maybe getting the money for it now while you still can. That's why I went with an RZII. Mamiya just announced a 43mm super wide which will help fill the WA gap when my digital back is mounted to it (using an adapter).

If your market isn't pressuring you to go digital, then wait. All digital will do is get better and cheaper. Learn with your point and shoot and the process will be the same except the files will be bigger. Best of Luck.

this store is another very famous place not to buy anything. lots of stories on the net about them=20

Broadway Camera's ad says "Factory Fresh",=20 NOT Contax USA backed warranty. Read the ad.=20 It says nothing about a warranty. These discounters get stuff from = overseas and sell them Gray Market, which is okay for some mechanical lenses that have been in production for decades. But a brand new digital camera = without any warranty. Not I., thank you.=20

The Faveon chip is a new technoogy, and like all new technology, it needs time to mature. The potential is certainly there. It reads RGB on each pixel rather than using the adjency extrpolation that is necessary with CMOS and CCD. I well remember the infancy of CMOS and CCD. You could say they too needed to become a more mature technology.

The theory behind the chip is not hype, it's just that they they haven't realized their potential and were probably released to the market-place too soon. I still look forward to seeing the next generation.

David,

" The potential is certainly there. "

Potential for what?

" It reads RGB on each pixel rather than using the adjency extrpolation that is necessary with CMOS and CCD."

What problem is there with the methodology used for Bayer pattern sensors (CMOS and CCD are merely the manufacturing process used)? I KNOW Foveon claims they are somehow solving problems that they claim exist, but as far as I know, any problems they claim to exist in Bayer pattern CCDs are exaggerated, long ago solved, or simply don't exist. Show me the problem in an IMAGE, not in hype and misinformation.

I think somehow people have some mistaken belief that this technique (interpolating data from a Bayer pattern sensor to arive at full color information) has something inherently wrong with it, and it simply does not. If the Foveon gives a better image, then so be it...but there is no significant reason that THIS will be the reason it does.

Is there something wrong with the images produced by the Contax N Digital using this technique? I do not believe so. There are other issues with the D Digital...such as ISO, buffering, speed etc. that have not a wit to do with the use of a Bayer pattern CCD. In fact, the camera produces damn fine images, and I haven't seen one from a Foveon sensor that is near as good.

Austin

AM Photoworld is a bogus. I tried to buy a camera from then some time ago, and, as soon as they realized that I needed just the body without any additional accessories, warranty or anything, they immediately said that the camera is not available and wait time is three months.
I have seen, however, Kurlandphoto.com was trying to sell used Contax ND kit on eBay for $3500, and there were no bids.

Back