DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

News Who knew?

50 years ago on this day the first cell phone call was made -
It was a decade before the public got them.
But who would have thought, at that time, that those bricks would evolve into something that would destroy a big chunk of the camera business.
Well they do make fantastic phone calls and heck, they even have a built in typewriter ;) Amazing! You can also drive with them while using the typewriter or talking on them, I've seen it!

Not seeing too many bird in flight shots from them though. Interesting and I'm sure it's coming with birdseye AF AI tracking. ;)

Danny.

Last edited:
"Wall Street" 1997

The phone that Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas) uses throughout the film is the Motorola DynaTAC 8000X, which was the first commercially available mobile cell phone. It was released in 1984 at a cost of $3,995 (equivalent to $9,952 when adjusted for inflation in 2020 dollars).

QpOPW9DS-gJx.jpg

I wonder how much better off we would be had they remained that size!

Back