DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax IIIa

Tom,

Henry Scherer will select and rebuild my camera before I ever lay my eyes or hands on it. So, yes, I am factoring an overhaul by Henry into my budget. All in, the Contax rangefinder cameras seem like a real bargain. I'll have a very nice camera for about the price of a very good digital point & shoot. This should be a very enjoyable camera to use and it will hold its value better than the digital cameras!

Cheers.
Robert

Robert, thank you for your post. Henry Scherer has beautifully overhauled two of my Contax IIa cameras and he is working on a IIIa for me right now. I'll be sending him a Contax III shortly and, since I purchased it from a Russian source, I wonder whether it does not have some KIEV parts (see Henry's post). Henry has given me excellent advice on camera purchases and he surely is the best qualified person to contract for a camera with which you will be satisfied! Having failed to find a "like new" Contax so far, I may go the same route! Regards, Tom

Hi all,
At the time of writing I own three Contax classics:
-1 x Contax II pre-war with a Jena Sonnar in perfect shape (and no zeiss bums). No grinding feelings when winding, rangefinder in perfect shape and perfect firing. I bought it in 2000 but haven't put a roll through it though, but was fire regularly to keep it fit

1x Contax IIa color dial. Very stiif focusing, but in tip top shape

1x Contax IIa black dial, latest addition

To make a long story short, I would like to have my IIa's overhauled, better in Europe My goal would be have them serviced by Mr. Henry Scherer. I've seen his website and he really is THE Contax man. The thing I don't like is overseas shipping. Some parcels get lost, some opened, and many of them have to pay import duty when getting the repaired camera back.
UPS nearly lost me a Contax Aria, which was blocked in France for nearly 2 months!

Any of you tried to send by UPS with the mention "Broken equipment sent temporarily to the US for repair" and the same thing when going back?

That way you can insure it for its full value.
Ad in theory, problems are less liable wen hitting customs.

Could anyone shed some light please?

Thanks and regards to all

Robert

Hi, I have been tasked with a clearing out a dry barn which has been the dumping ground for the last 25 years of family bits unwanted and I found a Contax IIIa camera and a 300mm Zeiss Ikon lense, any idea where I can sell it and how much its worth?

Thanks for your help!

Back