CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

MF Vario Sonnar 3570mm f34 nonContax hood suggestions

G

Apparently Contax doesn't make a rubber hood for this lens, meaning you have to spend a lot of money on an adapter ring and a metal hood. I'd be curious to know if anyone uses a different hood set-up. A cheap hood that doesn't cause vignetting and provides enough flare coverage must beout there somehwere.

One other thought: I got my 35-70mm largely because the price on eBay was fantastic and the lens is highly regarded, but I find myself not using it much. Why do you think it is that the 35-70 range is so popular? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me -- not much wide angle capability, and very limited focal length. Too bad CZ doesn't make a lightweight, reasonably priced 28-85 that is up to CZ standards. From what I hear, the 28-70 that was designed for the Aria is pretty weak.

G

I look upon 35-70 as just an extended standard lenght, with the disadvantages of beeing slower, more expensive and typically with worse performance.

That is why I do not use Vario-Sonnar 35-70 f3.5-5.6 for my G2. I would embrace a Contax G 28-85.

BTW, I do not understand why "high quality zooms" have to always be so heavy. There should be a market for high quality but lightweight polymer zooms?

G

I thought that the 35-70 used the standard Contax GG-1 metal lens hood? Also, I have the lens and have shot a couple of rolls of film with it. I am impressed with the sharpness of the lens and did not experience in lens flare; only from a non technical and not from a detailed testing standpoint. I agree that I would prefer 28-85 but that is not what is available. Also, the aperture of f/3.5-f/5.6 is a lot slower than the prime lens but that is what it is. I think its an excellent travel lens and it does allow shots from about 35 to 70. I like mine as well as the prime lens that I also have.
Harbert