DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax AX , with mirror blocked up

The repair shop told me it's due to the glue which is not enough sticking the mirror to its plate.After some time it happen the mirror slips a bit and blocks everything.
He told me this is the second time he sees this.
I'm waiting for it now , and let you aware.

I got the body some weeks ago, and I'm in holidays now, shooting with the AX.
One and half film already done without problem.
The blocking issue seems solved.
Nevertheless to be sure, I will finished the film and give them to the lab.
For information I paid nothing to make it repaired, it seems quite easy to do.

Hello mulanee, thanks for the info.

Can you tell me how the alignment of the mirror looks like. Is it level with the metal plate? On mine the mirror looks a bit over this plate - I didn't measure it but maybe app. 0.5mm. On my old RTS the mirror ends with the plate.

I will contact my preferred repairman but I don't know if they are familiar with Contax bodies.

Thanks mulanee for your help. I had contact to another AX owner with 4 cameras. The mirror sat in a different position for all cameras without a problem.

Anyhow I brought my cam to a local repairshop and they fixed it. He did know of the problem with the mirror and said that the original glue will loosen when it gets to warm. The mirror is now level with the plate.

I have posted a video of the mirror slip fix. Unfortunately, I don't show actually carrying out the fix (I wasn't sure it would work, and did it off camera due to difficulty in filming it). But I do explain in detail, with the camera in view, what I did. I did the "heat gun fix". It has held so far (but no film through the camera yet).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz1P2AiYwPc

Back