DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Hi I just joined

Hello to everybody,my name is Andy I am in Wiltshire in the UK,have been a Contax user for many years having been converted from dare I say it P....x I thought I would spare the more sensitive members!! I have a 137MA Quartz and a 159mm both very well used currently going after a 167 and a RTS 3. My 137 has run into problems and I shall be bothering you all in the respective forum when I find it,I am not very computer savvy so takes me a good while to find my way around,I was told today that many types of film are no longer available due to something called digital Photography!!I really must get out more. Please feel free to drop by and say hallo I will try and find the bit that gives you a bit of info about me.Bye for now Andy.T.

Hello and welcome

I have a 137ma aswell, it has been the most reliable camera I have ever owned, and my favourite for its simplicity. I have a 167 which is ok, but I don't like the controls, I have an RTS 3 bought on ebay, which has reliability issues. I would be carefull about buying second hand on ebay.

Paul

Hi Paul nice to hear from you I have to say I have been so lucky on E-bay have built up a huge stereo system,a desktop from bits bought on there and now a lot of lenses two cameras that don't get mentioned here although guess the Yashica 270AF is a sort of relation! My 137 has started to let in light but have found a guy who can replace all the foam with genuine 100 year guaranteed original from Japan so hopefully all will be well. I have a strange intermittent fault where it will do a double exposure every so often never had it before only just started,however the film was old so am going to run a fresh one through and hope it was a film gremlin,has never let me down in all weathers and condition used it to record the whole of the old RAC motor rally twice when it ran all over the country and into Scotland,those were the days!! Love your steam photos have a passion for all old mechanical things.Hope to chat soon Andy.

Contax 137

I had the light seals on my 137ma replaced when I had it serviced. I have had problems with second hand RTS 3's from ebay, it is a pain because they are exepnsive to buy, and it annoying if some subtle problem comes out later. I am cautious about buying expensive kit on ebay nowadays. There is plenty of film about, ilford still do Black & white and will process it for you or sell you the chemistry to do it yourself, fuji still make slide fim and print film, and processes it, although their process paid slide film has gone. I have a T2 for compact work with film, that is a greeat little camera, and a 645 for going over the top with.

Paul

Hi just joined

Hi Paul where did you have your 137 serviced down here it's like a dessert for trustworthy repairers. Developing I always use South West Colour Labs in Paignton Devon it's a professional lab so does not come cheap,but the quality of their work is superb,they mail back post free as well,there seems to still be plenty of film about but I do miss the 25,50 and 100 asa don't care what they say the 200 is nowhere near as fine and as for the currant 400 I see no improvement over the last twenty years or so. Pro film is very nice if you can afford it,South West Labs have a photographic supply side that deals only in professional film.Have you ever tried any of this 25 and 100 asa Rollie B&W I have been offered some not particularly cheap but most is 25asa so it's very tempting. Andy.

137 servicing

I had my 137 serviced at Newton Ellis in Liverpool. I mainly use Ilford Black & White film. I send colour off to Fuji lab. I havn't tried the Rollie film, I tend to order film online. so it is usually fuji or Ilford. You can try Velvia 50 slide. PanF plus is still about aswell.

Paul

Back