DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Marc

You are right when you say the RF flare problem is overrated for most photographic situations. However, when shooting concerts or theatre the RF flare problem happens all the time and you miss important shots. On the otherhand, it was never a factor with my old M4.2 in central European winters where the light is even, and yes folk can needlessly stress about details which have no real bearing on their actual practice.

However, if you shoot theatre or subtropical rainforest here in Queensland where light is bright and directional, then RF flare is a huge pain. Tape and shades only help to minimise RF patch flare, not totally remove it.

regards craig

> I use the M3 and wear glasses and don't mind it; I like the lifesize finder even if I can't see what is outside the picture area so clearly. I also like an uncluttered finder. Alas, flare is real on the M6, one reason I went back to the M6. Perhaps this is because I wear glasses, perhaps because of very bright sunshine here in the South Island of New Zealand. But I had flare too with my original M3 when shooting some indoor circus pictures. Now for a huge, ultra clear finder, try an old 60s Voigtlaender Vito...

Ever since, the .85 M6 was introduced, I've been using one. I wear glasses and my only real problem has been occasionally I have a hard time seeing the edges of the 35mm frame lines. Usually, I can just muddle through but if I'm really serious, I put a external 35mm finder on the camera or use a .72 body. I have had the occasional viewfinder flare, a piece of frosted tape over the viewfinder illumination window solved the problem. I agree the "problem" is vastly overstated.
Happy Snaps,
Sal

Yeah, I have to agree that the viewfinder flare thing is overstated. However, it does exist (at least on the 0.85x body I used). And when used side by side with an ancient M3, you really notice it on an M6 as the M3 rarely flares.

Bryan - $899 for an M3 - that would be a good price if it's in decent shape and functioning well. The M3 is really great with the 90mm & 135mm if you ever want to try those focal lengths. The framelines are easy for me to use with glasses on.

Sal; for a while, I was using a 35mm lens on the M3 as well. I also used a 35mm finder in the shoe. Wow, talk about an ultra-bright view. While some may find having a separate finder annoying, I thought this was a very nice way to work with the M3 for wide lenses (I use a 24mm now).

I don't have a 35mm lens anymore, but the new Voigtlander Nockton (f1.2) sure is tempting.

Thanks to everyone in this forum who kindly answered my questions about Leica M's and lenses.

I got my first M6 ttl (.72) last Friday w/50mm summicron. It's truly a pleasure to use.

I just got back from photographing a college reception, working a very crowded room (shooting w/Ilford 3200 b&w film).

It was great being able to shoot quickly w/depth of field set. However, even though the 50 is a good lens for me...I can tell I'd also like to work with a 35. I've begun saving.

Bryan;

Glad to hear you took the plunge & bought your first Leica. Even better to hear you've already used it!

With the 0.72x, the 35mm frame is useable for me with glasses (unlike the 0.85x, which I can't see at all unless I'm wearing contacts). So you made a good choice with the 0.72x. If you still can't see the entire 35mm frameline with your glasses, there's still the option of using an accessory viewfinder (the Voigtlander is very bright & can be mail-ordered easily from various sources. It's also relatively inexpensive).

For 35mm lenses - there's a whole bunch of choices out there. If you're using a 50mm Summicron, you'd probably want a 35mm lens that's at least as fast as that (altho' keep in mind that in general, you can probably hold a 35mm lens about one shutter speed slower & still avoid apparent camera shake).

The previous generation 35mm Summicron (non-ASPH) is a great choice. I had one of these & they're very compact (smaller than even a 50mm Summicron), great optics, nice focus handle & a very functional square hood. You could probably get this older lens for a good price.

I haven't used the current 35mm 'Cron ASPH, but I've heard it's a lovely lens. Obvious downside is the high price. It's also a little larger than its predecessor, but let's keep things in perspective - it's still tiny compared to most SLR lenses!

I did own the 35mm Summilux f1.4 ASPH. Wow, fantastic lens. For me personally, it fell into disuse because I started to skip the 35mm focal length & go straight to the 24mm, from the 50mm. It's a noticeably larger lens than the 35 Summicrons. Awkward looking lens hood, but it works. Very high price!

The other 35mm M lens I've used is the ancient Summilux (non ASPH). Some people love the way this lens smears point light sources wide open, others don't. Overall, I think a used Summicron (non-ASPH) is a better buy, but the older Summilux is something to consider if you need the extra stop.

Leica Days?

Anyone know of any "Leica days" coming up with a U.S. dealer with a good reputation? I am going to buy an M6 and would like to get the discount. Also, I hear there is a 200.00 rebate going on.

Thanks

Leica Days? > Anyone know of any "Leica days" coming up with a U.S. dealer with a > good reputation? I am going to buy an M6 and would like to get the > discount. Also, I hear there is a 200.00 rebate going on. Recently I spoke with a Leica dealer who said it was a 10% discount on M6, didn't hear anything about a rebate. Also, the dealer said that he was putting the MP, M7 on sale even though Leica has not included them in the promotion. Leica demo days are usually mentioned on the back of Leica View. If you want a free copy, call Leica at 1/800-222-0118, go to literature request, and ask for the latest copy, Spring '03. This will include events up until 12/5,6. Here's a listing of dealers listed with such days. 5/19-21 keeble & Shuchat, Palo Alto, CA 5/22 Ken Hansen, New York 5/23-4 Bay Camera, Savannah, GA 5/31 Stoddards Chestnut Hill, MA 6/6-7 Arts Camera Plus, West Allis, Wi 6/7 The Camera Shop, Bryn Mawr, PA 6/7 Century Camera; Royal Oak, MI 6/14 Rowe Photo Supply; Rochester, NY (Clean & Check) 6/21 Home Appliance Mart Ann Arbor, MI 7/12 National Camera Exchange; Golden Valley, MN 9/11-14 Park Square Camera & Photo; Eastham, MA 10/1 Dodd Camera; Cleveland Oh 10/5 Wildlife Conservation Society; Bronx Zoo, Bronx, NY 10/11 Provident Camera; Cincinnati, OH 12/4 Dodd Camera 12/5-6 Newtonville Camera, Newtonville, MA

Hope this helps,

Dear (Texas) Jeff

(I'm not happy with the imminent name change, you are going to have to get a really big hat) Never been to the big state but I do understand bits of it quite beautiful.

Now that you're up and running with the M6 TTL and getting good results, perhaps you may start thinking about an upgrade to the M3!!! Better still ditch the Contax and get two M3s and keep the M6 for a back up body. Some of those Contax people can be so rude, unlike your good self.

Best regards craig.

Dear Craig...
I ALREADY have a big hat. IF I had known about the quality of the Leica a year ago, I probably wouldn't have the Contax cameras.. Still, with the 70-300 lens, the Contax N1 gives some outstanding photographic opportunities the M6 doesn't tho. THAT SAID, I can see why Leicas are so addicting. Non-photographer people looked at my first roll of prints and remarked at how individual leaves (in the background) literally jumped out of the picture. I am a Leica devotee.. Now I just need a red Cadillac convertible with big steer horns on the front...
Colorado (and will be forever) Jeff

Back