DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

Bas,
Well said and I like your train of thought. I see you still use an M2. What metering source do you use and what range of lenses will the M2 couple with? I'm considering either an M2 or M4.

Chuck

Charles,

With the M2 I use a sekonic L-508. I already had. It has all the bangs and whistles you could ever want but at a cost, finacially and size. I'm currently training my eyes on sunny 16 and that works OK but would like a very small indicent meter with to go with the M2. The L508 I purchased for the set-up with the Hassy when the size doesn't really matter that much but for Leica shooting its overkill. I find incident metering to be the best for me.

My lens of choice is the 50mm and currently have a summicron with it. Next on the list is a Noctilux and possibly a 35mm. I find that I really like the Leica for enviromental type portraits but prefer the hassy for a typical headshot. Other favorite is the 75lux. I cannot see myself extend to more then those focal lengths.

The 90mm's are nice lenses but the Hasselblad /150mm/16mm tube and even the F100 with the 85mm/1.8 have a clear advantage in that area.

There are advantages and variety from each camera maker. Lets take focusing, and for the acid test the acknowledged speed ch& the Canon EOS 1v,
verses a M6 TTL. Normal light, the Canon is so fast that the image in the viewfinder seems to liquify
into focus. Turn, another subject, wham! it grabs focus. Leica, set to hyper-focal distance, click shot, click shot, click shot, etc. as fast or faster. Try to set hyper-focal distance on the Canon lens...no can do.
Canon, missed shot of expression on person just out of viewfinder range. Leica, see expression outside of 50mm frame lines, get priceless shot. Arguements can be made all day long. But it is arguing the merits
of an apple against those of an orange.

Paul,

Manual focussing gives a lot of things, but one thing it is not is faster then my F100. It does focus better in low light then the F100 does, even with the focus assist of the flash. Just shot a wedding this weekend and the F100, and all AF's I know suffer in those conditions. Granted, manual focus in those conditions is no picknick either.

And on an other note, not enough pictures here, so here's mine. Crawling kid (fast) nuff said about the manual focussing
32352.jpg

Just for those who think I'm really anti AF/Matrix. This shot was with Nikon F100, Matrix metering, AF focussed and still quite OK

32356.jpg

Okey Dokey Bas, here's one from me called "Night Pool", Miami, M6 TTL, 35mm, f/1.4 ASPH. Took 2nd place in national Scarab Club multimedia show
( lost 1st place to a truly amazing Oil Painting ).

What a mess. Growing pains of a new forum. let me try one more time.

Nope, it just won't let me post the picture even after making it miniscule in size.

See ya...

I ever use many 135 cameras ( QL17,AV1,F401,F3Hp,F5,R6.2,R8) ... and ... Leica M6 classic .. last one is Leica M6 TTL. I use only Leica M6 TTL , I love "feeling" and "lens's quality".

M6 TTL , Summicron 35/2 }

Back