DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Wide angle viewfinders

enash

I recently added a second hand 24mm ASPH to my kit which came complete with the 24mm accessory viewfinder. (the rectangular one in which has the black plastic housing) Although I'm happy with the lens - the viewfinder BLOWS! There is a ton of distortion and flare, and it has a very fat bright-line frame line with round corners. Round corners? Anyway, I find it very difficult to get any accurate sense of what is actually going be in frame. I'm wondering if anyone out there can tell me if the newer 21 24 28 wide angle finder is any better. And if its worth the $300 plus.

Thanks

That's too bad about the Leica view finders. Does anyone know how the Voigtlander ones compare? Is the Leica 28mm viewfinder just as bad too?

Enash, I use the 24mm asph too with the same viewfinder. At first, i found it extremely difficult to use and had the same problem with the distortion, and rounded edges. But the combination finder is worse, for me, cos it doesn't have any framelines, which means that depending on whether i'm wearing glasses or not, the frame will show me a different view. All in all, i find the 24mm dedicated finder better. after using it for some time, i have become accustomed to the view of the finder and in fact, the distortion reminds me of how wide a lens i have on. keep at it, you'll soon get past your initial gripes and begin to really enjoy the 24mm.

Melvin www.hjtan.com

Just in case you still don't like the ext vf, well...why not do without it, in fact, just shoot without even putting the camera to your eye...like in this case.

melvin hj tan
49049.jpg

I know this may not answer your question , but if some day you change your M camera think about a 0.58x. I have it, and you can frame the 24mm. without any aditional viewfinder. Regards

> [Hi Mariano This is very interesting - I happen to own the first series M6/0.58x and also the 24mm Elmarit with the plastic viewfinder. Please advise how you can use the body's viewfinder without the attachment?

Thank you

Joseph Low ( joelct )

Mariano, Do you wear glasses? I use my 24mm on both my 0.58 and 0.85 with the external vf. even with the 0.58, i can only guess what will be included and what will be left out. Any advice on your technique?

Melvin H J Tan

Joseph: I will do my best to explain with my limited english. The 0.58x viewfinder shows you an area equivalent to aprox. the 24mm coverage. Just forget the 35mm bright light frame that appears when you mount the 24 mm lense and frame with all the image you see through the camera finder. It is rather accurate . You have to move your eye a little bit arround the finder to see ALL the image area that will be exposed but I find this preferable than to carry an extra viewfinder. Without this eye movement you have a little extra coverage in the photo than the one you see in the finder that gives you a small margin for errors.Usualy this is the way I do it. It is quick , easy an accurate enough. Of course you have no paralax correction for close distances, but I believe all "external" finders dont have either. A little of imagination and working in these cases with a small extra margin (only if composition is very critical) is more than enough. I have never croped a subject unintentionaly .

Hope it helps Mariano

Melvin: No ,I do not wear glasses for long distances , I do for reading and have even bought a diop. correction lense for the camera finder in order to work with less eye fatigue. I do imagine with glasses it will be very difficult to frame the 24mm. but I have no experience on it. Could you use a diop. correction lense ?? In any case I am sure a good dealer will let you try one in his shop.

> [.Ciao Mariano

Contrary to your modest overture, I find your English perfect and your instructions very clear. Like yourself I do not relish the idea of focussing with the camera's vf and then frame with the additional vf. I shall give your idea a good try and advise results in this forum. By the same token - do you have a similar experience with the M3 and a 35mm lens. Do you think the same system can be applied? Will be in touch - best wishes

Joseph Low

Back