DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

User comments btil June 2003

I've had my M2 21 years this year. I too love it to death; sufficiently so to have recently bought a seriously beaten up M4-P to take some of the work off the M2 to help keep it in lovely condition.
If you have to wait until the summer to be able to appreciate it with the 35 you want - why not splash out a much more modest sum in the meantime and get yourself a worn but serviceable 50 2.8 Elmar? In fact there are a couple of collapsible 50 f2s on www.ffordes.com.....follow the links to on-line store...secondhand...leica. Quick, quality service.

I picked up several M2's a while back from a paper I worked at. One was used as parts to repair the RF in the other. I had it CLA'd and then loaned it to a friend a few years ago. The vulcanite was already half off. When I just got it back last week I took off the rest. The camera looks kind of cool this way, but I think I'll have it recovered.

The camera looks really beat but it still works wonderfully.
The shutter and RF are still accurate.
Check it out for yourself at http://www.jimarnold.org/galleries/m2/

If you worried about a camera being able to take a few knocks and still work take a look at the images of this camera.

Remember, I didn't inflict this abuse. I simply rescued the camera from an abusive situation and gave it a new life.
happy.gif

One of my professional workhorse camera bodies is a 1989 Canon N. I too got it used. It looks pretty bad but it still keeps the dust out and makes great pictures (though not as wonderful as the leica). Some years ago when the local paper changed to digital cameras they sold all of their film cameras for next to nothing. This one actually survived Desert Storm. My first medium format camera was a TLR Rolliflex made in the early 1960s with zeiss glass for $150.00 and it too worked really well.

Good for you on the rescue. Cathy in Atlanta

> Any of the previous 35 f/2.0 Summicrons will provide superb images if used properly. So a used Summicron will still make you a happy man. So will the Voightlander and probably the Konica. Although much has been written about compatibility with the Konica line, I suspect it may be more of a quality control issue than a deliberate design problem. The people who really know aren't talking....

I have seen excellent photos taken with many cameras which have a lesser reputation than Leica. The biggest factor is still the person behind the camera.....

> [I got some totally tremendous results delivered this morning, all taken with this lens. I refuse to keep my mouth shut, Phreak, in extolling its virtues. I have never used a lens which can compare with its beauty. Mike]

Dear John,

Apologies for the late reply, we have been away for the weekend.

At f/8 the red-scale Elmar is comparable to a modern lens.

At wider apertures it is also not far behind.

I use mine on a Minolta CLE. A very compact combination.

Sincerely,

Justin

Hi Justin,
I bought a LTM to M Adaptor to use the Red Dial Elmar on the M2, whilst I was at the shop, I had a look at the VC 35mmf1.7 Ultron($315), very nice, but not quite Contax G built quality, then the dealer said that a new 1.2 will be out in the spring - very interesting! I wonder how it will compare to the Leica 1.4? Anyway, I also looked at the VC 15f4.5 wide angle lens after hearing the good reviews on this lens, and for only $280 new, I bought one! Well, I think it's time to take some pic on the M2!

Well John, you will certainly take some dramatic shots with 110 degrees. Best wishes, Justin

Hi, John,

I think you've got a very good dear now. I tried CV 15mm before and find that it is very sharp. Suggest you use f5.6 and above. BTW, where are you staying? The CV lenses at your shop seems very cheap. Maybe I will ask you to get one lens for me one day
happy.gif

Im looking to purchase my first set of Leica gear. I have limited funds (dont we all), so i am looking for a well used body but one that is mechanically sound, i.e. accurate shutter speeds. my first lens will probably be the 50mm 2.0 summicron, then probably the 35mm summilux (if I can afford it).

I saw a "combo body," (m2 bright lines, m4 loading, m3 body) on ebay. It has everything i would like and at a good price right now; $400 2 days left, but I don't know if i should stay away from these combo cameras. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Do the m4, m3, and m2 users get used to not having a meter? Do you ever think you have missed a great shot because of not having a meter, whats the key? Any reputable dealers with good used equipment? After selling my Haselblad equipment I will make the purchase.

Thanks to all for any input. I have been reading the threads for a little while but this is my first posting.
Thanks again,
Joe

Back