DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Summicron 4th versus Summicron ASPH

red1

Hi, I've been reading 'bout this topic the last 3 days (get a life...) but I can't come to a conclusion: the Summicron ASPH or pre-ASPH? Money is no issue (though I can't afford a Lux asph) but shooting ALWAYS at f2 is! Can anybody draw me over the line, any which way? I own the 4th version now...
I'm looking for 'other' convincing arguments. As I'm almost always shooting at F2 (because I like to capture the subject in an OOF area) I'm mostly interestend in the OOF qualities of the ASPH and the so-called bokeh and, very important: the typical Leica 3D-effect. Is that also possible with the ASPH or do I need the older lens for that, the one I have already?
Thank you

Hi Rick,
I know it may seems obvious but If I were you I'd simply rent the new ASPH and make the due experiments: I think that you are looking for something very personal and I doubt that your perception of those specific qualities is the same that myself, or other more competent fellow member of the boards, can have.
I've never tried the ASPH but from what I've read it sounds a little more harsh on out of focus areas compared to the pre-ASPH.
Just something I read, no more.
All the best
ciao
k

Hi,
thanks for your answers.
Maybe a silly question, but where can I rent LEICA gear (here in Holland)??

I would think any Leica dealer would be happy to loan you (not rent you) a lens for assessment, that's what 'demo' items are for. They may ask for a deposit on the value of the lens but they're after a sale, they want to help you buy one!

Dear Rick...
U seem to have answered your own question. The 4th version gives the best OOF effects. The ASPH has the benefit of modern advances in technology and so , technically is a better lens. But Enrico is correct when he said that the effect U are looking for is something personal and subjective.

So short answer = stay with the 4th bcos U like the unique OOF effects and spend the $ saved on film.

Rgds
TMLee

Hi,
I have had both the summicron pre-asph and asph.
The first one is considered as the "bokeh" king. The transition between the focus zone and the out of focus is really beautiful. On the other side the resolution and the contrast of the asph, especially at f2, is really ahead. The last one is bigger, heavier and more expensive. Now you can make your choice.

Sorry for grammatical errors. English is not my mother language.
Regards
Eric

Hi all, can someone let me know the
quality differences between the Elmar 90 f4 four lenses and Elmar 90 f4 three lenses? I have bought recently the first one for my M3.
Thanks and regards

The ASPH has a little more contrast compared to the V4. The ASPH is better wide open as it's sharper in the corners. Once you are above f4 it's pretty much a moot argument. I own both lenses. The ASPH has better "bokeh" to my eyes. Sorry, but to me the V4 King of Bokeh thing is a myth. The ASPH also has a shallower DOF compared to the V4. But I love how small and light the V4 is compared to the ASPH.

See http://www.jimarnold.org/galleries/leica_35_test/

Jim, How do you account for a difference in DOF when this is a result of reproduction ratio and aperture?
Colin

I understand Jim's argument about depth of field. To a large extent it's an impression. Imagine a single-element lens. There would be relatively little difference between the 'sharp' areas and those which are 'unsharp'. The better the lens, however, the shallower the apparent depth of field because the difference is greater by virtue of the greater apparent sharpness at the focused plane. In both lenses the DOF is actually the same, as a lens only really focuses on one point. What the eye sees, however, is different.

Back