CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

MM Lenses on RTSII

Jacquot50

I am new to the forum and new to Contax, and already have a question: I recently purchased an RTS II body and 3 lenses, 2.8/28MMJ, 2.8/45MMJ, and 1.7/50AEJ. I just had the body serviced by the local authorized shop, and have seen something interesting. The AE lens shows the proper f-stop in the viewfinder and the MM lenses are set at one stop higher than what is shown in the viewfinder consistently. I took the lenses in with the body and they are going to research it. The lenses on an RX body they had registered properly. I'm guessing this is a known issue, although everything I've read says that the MM lenses are compatible with the RTS bodies. I love the feel of the RTS II body and the viewfinder is great, and I could live with this if I had to make a compensation adjustment, for instance, but need to know where I am. A few rolls of film and I would know, but wanted to ask...

Please excuse me if this is a dumb question, but I've done a few searches and found nothing except that the lenses are backwardly compatible, no reference of issues. This seemed like a good place to find more depth of information...

Many thanks in advance, David

crocus63

OK, let us start with the MM vs AE lenses. If you notice on your MM lenses the max aperture should be in Green. I recall in one of my lens manuals it was stated MM lenses should be used on bodies with T (time) or Shutter Speed priority; this was due to a lighter aperture blades used in construction. They of course can be used on AE (Aperture priority) bodies like the RTS II; backward compatible. The AE lenses though were not listed in any lens manual to be used on newer bodies on T mode, but they can be used on A mode; like with any AE body.

I have both lens and body types and follow these rules. Admittedly I have not attempted to use an AE lens in T mode because I almost always shot in AE mode. I don't find there are any quality differences between the two types of lenses, so I buy what costs lower. But if you are a T mode shooter definitely get the MM lenses.

crocus63

Oops, I forgot to mention the other issue you're seeing. On the lenses, there is a L-shaped bracket with screws holding it to the lens body. It is used to adjust the aperture reading/readout on your body. On the Yashica lenses it is a milled out with the lens barrel so is in a fixed position where with the Contax lenses they could be adjusted. I had that issue once before which I've found that it can also be an issue with your body's index ring (fixed with a CLA with Kyocera when they still serviced Contax equipment). I hope this helps.