DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Airport X ray

Hi James,

> It all depends on the airport...

That is my point, no it doesn't, according to the Federal regulations I cited. You have a right to ask for it...as they ADMIT that the new x-ray machines CAN damage film. See my last post with the a URL to the TSA regulations.

Austin

> Posted by Michael Monas on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 8:45 pm: > > > > Austin, > > I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers,

He he...Michael, no ruffling taken. It's just that I've been over and over and over this issue with people who claim what I am merely citing is wrong, and I have the damned regulations in front of me when I write this...so I've got to believe I've done my homework right, and someone else hasn't ;-)

Of course I'm not saying the stories people tell aren't true...I believe they are, but there are ways to deal with inspections in a pleasant manner...not that I'm the poster boy for pleasant merrers, mind you...though I do try.

And yes, I posted links to the new TSA info.

Regards,

Austin

In exceptional circumstances they don't have to offer it to you. The language is sufficiently vague to make it hard to insist. You can try, but the atmosphere these days is not very understanding. Check out the relevant threads on Photo.Net, where the issue has been discussed at amazing length.

I just ran a roll of exposed Fuji Reala thru the hand luggage xray on Friday. I wouldn't dare put it in the checked luggage xray... I'll let you know if there are any problems with the hand carry xray..
Colorado Jeff

> Posted by clark e. erickson on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 9:50 pm: > > >Austin, I do not think that you are fully informed on this issue.

Well, Clark...Perhaps you can update me on as to what the correct regulations I should be using are than to be using the current ones listed on the TSA web site, which you apparently believe are "not fully informed" ;-)

Be aware that I was STRICTLY talking about US regulated airports, and being you are 6 hours later than I am, according to your time st& above, you are probably in Europe, where your regulations may in fact be different.

Austin

Hi Clark,

Reading both from the FAA and TSA: Austin is correct and informed, to say he is not informed is somewhat derogatory. It may be that some inspectors are not informed and may not understand that there is a right to hand inspections.

Now arguing with an uninformed inspector may be a different story. I've made the mistake of not asking for an inspection with high speed film, and yes, it was fogged. Good images destroyed (am I being optimistic? ;-). (Try to get compensation, fat chance!) Henseforth I ask.

Please keep in mind that the calibration of xray machines may vary from airport to airport, or from that matter from one station to another within a given airport, so your experience on one trip may not be the same as another if your film is not hand inspected.

David

JUST an idea..but I've started taking a postage paid padded envelope with me on trips. Before I head to the airport, I put the film in the padded envelope and mail it to my home. You can get a priority mail st& for $3.20 which is good for up to a pound (?). You can send several rolls of film home and not worry about the xrays...

Colorado Jeff

>I think Austin is right on the law but there's a practical problem. We went to Italy this summer and i insisted on hand inspection, thus irritating my wife and 18 year old daughter, who said, "didn't you hear the lady say the machine won't damage the film." When I insisted (not for the faint of heart, they were quite surly in Philadelphia) they took their sweet time having me take all of the cassettes out of the little cannisters, sweeping them for explosive residue, etc. then, for spite, they asked for my shoes, my wallet, etc. And had she said "no" in violation of those regs., would I have traded my trip for the principle? I think not. One outcome of a confrontation with these people is getting put in a safe place to cool off, while the flight

Two comments about the X-ray issue:

1. I have had no problem getting hand inspections in the U.S. since the TSA took over from the private contractors. The new inspectors seem to be much better trained and informed than the old ones. They are usually even polite and helpful about it, if asked politely.

2. I recently did a test in which I took an unexposed roll of TMAX3200 both ways on a trip. I intentionally sent it through the X-ray twice. At home I developed it with a roll that I had left home. There was no perceptible fog on the X-rayed roll. I conclude that it just isn't a big problem, at least for reasonably new machines.

Back