DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

D100 vs Canon 10 D etc

roman

I am currently trying to decide between the Canon 10D (which is a very effective tool....despite anything anyone says....other wise it wouldnt be getting the wonderful rave reviews it is getting) And whatever Nikon comes up with between now and April (the time frame I will be buying a camera)

I have always just perferd the Nikon feel and ergonomics (used 8008s in the past, and have a Nikon 5700 now) Just bought a Canon Powershot S50 recently for pocket camera (so I dont have to lug my kit around) and I am actually quite impressed with the metering and quality of the DIGIC processor.

Has anyone used the D10 and the 100D that can give me some useful (no flames) information that you would consider strong points of both cameras...and lacking points as well?

Any one who is unbiased knows these two cameras are both very cometent photographic tools...Im looking for real world info.

Thanks!!

"What I wanted to say is that with all those electronic ghizmos they have to come up, because "the market" wants them they forget that there are still some weirdos who prefer a nice mechanical camera."

Um...Wink....I'll take manual mode for $100.00!

Am I mistaken or does all these cameras with all the wizzbang technology still have manual modes to them?

If so....then the problem wouldnt be that Manual controls dont exist....but that people with all the extra the controls cant resist using them.

Its like driving a car....if you dont like radios...but all cars come with radios.....just turn the sucker off.
crazy.gif

Hee hee hee!

Oh...I know...you dont want to have to pay for such things....but the options ARE there to use the cameras as you wish.

Roman

I guess everybody is too embedded in their Nikon experience and wondering if manual cameras are still for sale to answer a true *Why Nikon at all" question. (scroll up about 17 posts to see a question that actually relates to the topic of the room)

Maybe thats a reason to NOT buy a Nikon....the user community. Are you all really that uncaring about somone wanting to enter the Nikon experience?

Peace to you all and your quest for manual cameras.

Roman

Ok....so you think that me asking why I should go with a Nikon D100 vs a canon 10D as trolling?!?.....

Way to make a serious person asking a serious question in the right forum welcome.

Your a WONDERFUL Nikon ambassador.(sic)

I know that somone out there must have some decency that uses a Nikon...somone who gives a damn about their user community.

Any one?

Roman

> Dear Roman

Maybe we care but don't really know the answer.

I have a friend that has the Nikon and absolutely loves it. I have another friend with the canon and says she loves it. Perhaps you could specify what you are planning to use it for and people could respond whether it would meet your needs.

Chris

You know, this dumb-ass bickering is getting old. As I said 8 months ago - why Nikon? ...in my case, it was primarily ergonomics; the F and F2 25+ years ago just felt better in my hands and were easier to handle for me. As I told shoppers in the camera store I managed back then, the reality is if you stick with a quality brand (today that would be Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Leica, and Pentax) then for the vast majority of users, the offerings at a given price range are equivalent insofar as durability and flexibility are concerned.

Few photographers end up buying the exotic ultra-long or ultra-wide lenses that are offered by Nikon and Canon, but if you're going to do shooting that requires 1200mm or 8mm lenses then Canon and Nikon are pretty much the selections left (Sigma etc. notwithstanding).

That said, why pick one over the other? Well, if it's status you're after, then stop reading here - let me not cloud your vision with factors that won't mean anything to the drooling onlookers envious of your cool gear. If your plan is to go out and take pictures, make photographic art or do anything in between, then the ONLY way for you to really decide is to go to a store and hold both cameras in your grubby little hands and focus and snap and see which feels better to you.

All the spec sheet minutia in the world mean nothing if you select a camera because it's purportedly 1/100th more accurate in exposure but it is difficult for you to focus with or hold comfortably. If camera A's weighting is not balanced in your grip and camera B's is balanced, then the reality is that you will be more likely to get off your ass and pick up camera B and go and take pictures more often then you would with camera A, even if A will get you more ogles in the local Starbucks.

No doubt we all have favorites, even within a given brand - I thought the Nikkormat Ftn was a stupidly designed camera even while I liked the F and later, F2 better than anything else on the market (and I had access to everything out there). Does that make it a bad camera? Of course not, just not one I would ever buy because I WOULDN'T USE IT! Plenty of pro's used it (perhaps still to this day) - it is by all accounts a great camera - just not right for me.

And for me to impose my likes and dislikes on anyone else is the height of arrogance - perhaps you would have just loved the Nikkormat. But my point is that I would have explained all that to you back when and end up selling you the Nikkokrmat even though I wouldn't take one for free.

So again, the point is - do not make decisions based on what anyone on this list says - go and have a look (and feel). Nikon, Canon and the others have all made fabulous cameras as well as complete lemons. For ex&le, I can't stand Nikon's N55, and barely tolerate the N65, but that's me - they are fine cameras in their own right and anyone who owns them can take better photos that I if they have the talent.

So to you, Roman - go to a store and actually check out these models. Both get high grades - and both have their faults (and for that matter you could check out the Fuji S2 as it's based on a Nikon body, so you can confuse yourself further if you wish). Because all the specifications in the world don't mean squat if you don't enjoy the experience of picking the thing up, looking through the viewfinder to compose a shot, and clicking the shutter.

Now, on another topic, I so often see the "type your text here!" note as a submission that I stand by my comment of months ago - this is a poorly designed formum mechanism; it's obvious that burying the response instructions in the middle of a long e-mail message is a good way of hiding same from the casual reader.

rant mode off.

BobF

Thanks Larry and Bob for your answer.

Bob...when somone askes your opinion....then your not "imposing your feelings" on another person.....now if I wernt asking...and you answerd anyway....then you would be doing that.
happy.gif
..so no worries.
wink.gif

I was just hoping to actualy hear the honest pitfalls of each if somone has handled both. (the its better to learn from somones mistakes....than make your own ...if at all possable)

Sorry for the comments earlier...just trying to shake the trees for some sensible answers.....or even ANY answers.

I'm just a serious amature hoping to spend my (little over a grand) wisely and hopefully witout any regrets.

My shooting interests are widely varied with a tighter focus on Nature(including macro)and Landscape photography.

Roman

Roman:

I just purchased an F100 for my wife as she held it and stated that she liked it. She has been using Nikon for several years and has made some fine photographs and I hope this will aid her. I have read many articles mostly very favorable of the F100. I believe it has the capabilities that would satisfy most shooters.

I also believe there are a lot of good cameras on the market now, so I would consider what you want to do, perhaps what you would like to do in the future and consider if the system you choose can support your needs. As an ex&le I recently purchased a Contax G2, but it will not accommodate large lens for bird photography. By the way Nikon is currently offering a $200.00 rebate for the F100

Good Luck

Gilbert

Roman

Perhaps the best way to shop is to define your needs, set your priorities without regard to brand, then shop for the combination of body, lenses and accessories that best fits that need within your budget.

Then - as I said in the previous message - get hands on in a camera store.

Do the controls seem confusing or awkward? Is viewing clear and bright? Does the camera body fit your hands, feel balanced and handle well at low shutter speeds?

What level of automation do you want? If you plan to use the camera on full automatic, you might be happier with a high-end point and shoot than a low end SLR, though P&S does not do macro. My "normal" lens for the F3 is the superb 55mm MicroNikkor which is great for both normal lens photography and macro. The current version is a 60mm lens, also highly reputed.

Do you really need an SLR? Have you considered a rangefinder camera, now that they are proliferating again? Compact, quiet, easy and precise focusing in low light. Very unaggressive for people photography - far superior to SLRs in this aspect. For landscape photography, Voigtlander has 12mm, 15mm and 21mm superwides that actual mortals can afford.

Have you considered digital over film? You can shoot freely without even thinking of film and processing costs. I have owned two Nikon Coolpix cameras and both paid me back in a few months considering the number of shots I took and what it would have cost with film. I love the fact that I can instantly review my settings and make adjustments to get the highest possible quality, right on the spot.

My Nikon digital is legendary for macro photography, and I love it for landscapes.
http://www.larry-bolch.com/desert2002/

It is also a superb camera at night.
http://www.larry-bolch.com/ephemeral/

For me, the upside is that I get complete control of the whole image-making process concept, exposure, processing and presentation. My run of the mill prints are the equal of the best of my professional portfolio shots, but then I do know image processing quite well. With digital, I hit it first time ever time, while the portfolio prints took days and consumed a box of paper and the chemistry to process them. I print my five megapixel images up to 13" x 19" - 239mm x 483mm.

However, for many, this is also the downside. If you want to just drop off you film at the one hour lab and let the operator and big machine do your interpretation for you, this becomes a lot less handy with digital, though more and more processors also do digital snapshots now.
http://www.larry-bolch.com/film-vs-digital/

As per learning from mistakes, no, I really have not. Money for equipment has always been carefully budgeted, and no equipment is bought until the needs are clearly defined. Once defined, then it has been a matter of looking for the best specific solution within the budget. I have never purchased equipment on a whim. Though I have bought a lot of cameras over the years, none has been a disappointment.

While I have had excellent service from Nikons over many decades and can highly recommend them, it is well worth thinking outside of the box befor buying. If you keep coming back to a Nikon SLR after checking out each other alternative, then you can go ahead and buy with confidence. It is well worth the time and effort.

larry!

Back