DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a spin-off of dpreview. We are a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. From smartphone to Medium Format.

DPRF is a community for everybody, every brand and every sensor format. Digital and film.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which prime lens

Hi all, I previously started with an olympus OM 10, then to a Ricoh, then to a Pentax Z1P which still is a fantastic camera. I went digital a few years ago but waiting for the 1st Pentax DSLR took too long, so I went for the canon 10D. I fell in love with it but some months ago I wanted to up-grade. I was intending to go for the 30D, but my mate at the local dealer suggested I at least try the new K10D. II did and was blown away with the specs,handling and ease of use. I grabbed a 14mm 2.8 Sigma, then a 18-50 2.8 Sigma, and a week ago after weeks of searching reviews, decided on the DA* 50-135mm 2.8ED SDM. I havn't tested it properly as yet, but am confident it will be GREAT ! I welcome any comments from other users.
Cheers - Indyj

I started a long way back with a Spotmatic. Then life took a harsh turn and I was not able to continue with my hobby. But see: after many years this happened: my husband gave me a K20d and I have to be digital now. Oh dear, I hardly know how to use a laptop. Well, I dug up some older Pentax A-lenses (28mm,50mm,135mm), real cheap, second hand and after a few trials I start to find my way around the "machine". Then I took my savings and bought the very new DA* 60-250 f4. To me a heavy blook. So a monopod is added and sure I feel poor but Oh am I rich ... with all of these lenses. I can make pictures endlessly and they don't take all my money as with film. This new Pentax zoom is well balanced, it is very sharp, too. As I never before had af this comes as a blow to me. I need to correct myself not to always correct the lens. However, on fotographing a swarming army of dragon-flies it could not decide where to focus and I had to silence it and do it myself. Well, no problem, it allows you to do that wonderfully. I think that your 50-135 behaves very much like this one. Are we not lucky people to have this equipment and use it.

Back