DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

German vs Canadian Lenses

vishalvora

Hello again,

Thank you to all who contributed to my sharpness question. I have decided to go for a pre-ASPH lens, 35 f2. I have seen some very nice ex&les, the only difference between them is that one is made in Canada and the other in Germany. I just wanted to know what the differences were; when I come to sell what is easier to sell and which holds more value? To me, I don't care where the lens is made as long as I get the right look - I am a user and not a collector.

Many thanks,

Vishal.
M6TTL 50/f2

Dear Vishal,

There is absolutley no difference in the quality, optically or mechanically, between Canadian and Wetzlar lenses.

The advantage of Canadian lenses is that, as a rule of thumb, they are two thirds the price of the Wetzlar versions.

The collectors and investors consider "Made in Germany" more valuable!

Best wishes.

Justin

Dear Vishal,
My apologies if you are already aware of this-- there are several generations of 35f2 that preceded the current model. The "pre-ASPH", meaning the last version before the asph (I think it is the 4th version), starts a a particular serial number that I can't recall-- around 28xxxxx maybe?

I have not tried either -- I have a Summicron 40mm fF2 and a 35mm Summaron f2.8 for the M3 and I like both very much.

Good luck with your shopping and your photography.
Juan

Hi Vishal

I have a Canadian 28mm f2.8 Elmarit and I can promise you that there is no difference in optical quality between it and the German one other than it costs less money.
As for the 35mm,I have used both ASPH and non ASPH versions as I had a great job where I could borrow stuff like that to try out before I parted with my cash! Personally,I prefer the non ASPH version as it just seems to have a more pleasing image quality to it somehow but it's difficult to quantify.Either way,have fun with it!

I checked out Jim's link the other week and was very intrigued. Personally I preferred the version 4, pre-asph summicron to the aspherical. of course it's not the easiest to decipher from internet pictures, but the the aspherical seemed surprisingly 'harsher' and 'ragged' than the 'smoother' pre-asph. I wonder what the technical lowdown on this is.

Somehow I've ended up with all Canadian lenses. Maybe because they are cheaper! I have not complaints about any of them optically. I recently puchased a 1959 35mm Summicron. I was horribly disapointed and ready to sell it, but when it was at the repair-person's to have the focus checked out, I was told it really needed the glass cleaned. Now I'm amazed at the quality. Whereas before it had horrible contrast (none) and horrible flare with anything white, I am amazed at contrast was well as extreme resistance to flare shooting in even the strongest of light. So yes, I wouldn't hesitate to buying Canadian. : )

garth

Heard now most M and R are assembled in Portugal, and only the final process (ie tuning and QC) is done in Germany.

And also heard and even those customer service in Germany is deteriorating.

It has more to do with generation of people, with their different work ethics.

You don't expect the younger Germans to be as hard working and serious as their fathers. It is a global trend.

Not sure about your first comment. I thought that Solms were assembling the M's and R's and the lenses. Don't forget, Leica does not make the bodies; they are outsourced.
With regards to Customer Service; this went away in the early 90's and was the cause of my departure from Leica useage/ownership. Other than my Panda M6, I am a devoted Contax user after 25+ years of exclusively Leitz/Leica equipment

yes, outsourced, that was what I am saying. "Made in Germany" is just to keep the myth alive. Those M3 had a QC tag with 4 signatures, now they have only one. I have both recent M body and M lens, THAT signature is the same person! He will be quite busy just signing name without doing anything the whole day.

If Leica wants to outsource, why not choose Japan, I think the costs might be even lower than that of Portugal, but again, Germany is a EU nation.

The only thing that still keeps me with buying Leica is its low production figure. My 35/2 ASPH and 50/2 have all appreciated in value. When you see Leica's production figure, you realize all its products are limited edition in some sense, that when you compare them with the production figure of Nikon/Canon etc.

Zeiss is also nice, but it has this myth around it. I am dreaming about a G rangefinder with manual focus. G2 is nice, but its viewfinder sucks, my T3 looks than that.

I too am a devoted Contax fan but I would never believe that their service is superior to or even remotely equal to Leica. Leica's may have deteriorated but it is still far better than anything Kyocera does. I could not get any parts or service for a 12 year old camera with an electronic fault. I managed to get a part for my 1953 IIf from Leica with absolutely no problems. I keep thinking about getting an M but then I come to conclusion that there is little it would do for me that my G2 +28/45/90mm lenses cannot do. Perhaps it doesn't have quite the same quality of construction or the brilliant viewfinder but I do have a built in 4fps motor drive, 1/6000th sec shutter and auto/manual focus. What does worry me is what happens if it goes wrong in five years time. With a Leica you can be reasonably sure that someone will be able to mend it. With all the electronics in a G2, nobody in the UK other than Kyocera will touch them. Wilson

Back