DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

SIGMA DP1s, overcoming the long close focus distance

jesito

The only annoying thing on the DP1s is the long close focus distance, that avoids the use of the cam for product-like shots.

To overcome this, a friend of mine thought on using a closeup filter lens.

I followed his recommendation and tried with a 4 diopter lens, On top of the HA-11 adapter:

11457676.ee3ee67a.560.jpg

Magnification is really improved. (Don't pay attention to the following two pictures, are shot handheld @ 1sec, so they are awfully blurred, but are good to show the magnification).

Without the closeup lens:

11457681.fbd04a78.560.jpg

Same distance, with the closeup lens on:

11457682.ed6d57e1.560.jpg

Quick samples: 1/10s, F4, ISO200

11457679.a8ccc16d.jpg

100% crop of the last one:

11457677.bdcd2b7f.jpg

Another sample:

11457678.23da0f9b.jpg

This may solve the problem.
Although the results are not bad, maybe I should try with a better lens. This one is a cheap chinese one...

Regards.
Jes.

Jess...great stuff...you can also put a fisheye attachment to get a wider shot...

Thanks!.
Yes, I'm going to try other diopter lenses, I'll be posting the results.

Regards.
Jes.

Hi,

You should try an achromatic close-up lens, with two elements. Those lenses are color corrected and have less fringing.

Thanks, Afshalders.
Do you know a brand, or where can I find one?
Thanks in advance.

Jes.

If I remember well the Sigma's close up lens dedicated to the DP series is a two element achromatic. The model is the AML-1 and it's rather expensive.

Back