DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Official press release from Kyocera

old_admin_CI

FYI

Press Release (source: dpreview):

CONTAX-Branded Camera Business

Kyocera Corporation (President: Yasuo Nishiguchi, hereafter called "Kyocera") has decided to terminate CONTAX-branded camera business.

Although Carl Zeiss and Kyocera have entered into a long term co-operation regarding the development, production and sale of CONTAX-branded cameras, Kyocera has decided to terminate such business due to difficulties in catching up with the recent rapid market changes.

Consequently, Kyocera will terminate the shipment of CONTAX-branded cameras, and the exclusive lenses and accessories in September, 2005, except for the CONTAX 645 camera system, the shipment of which to some markets will come to an end in December, 2005.

Kyocera will continue to provide after-sales services to its customers for their CONTAX-branded cameras, and the exclusive lenses and accessories over the maximum period of ten years within the specified time of each model.

FYI

we've just got and published the statement of Carl Zeiss regarding yesterday's press release of Kyocera:

https://www.camera-info.com/news/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=70&Itemid=2

It seems that everything is not finally decided - at least not in writing regarding the contract between Zeiss and Kyocera. Speculations for different scenarios - whatever they might be - are possible...

This looks like a mixture between thriller, secret service story and nightmare
happy.gif

Nightmare I think...!
sad.gif

On that basis it looks like no more Contax cameras for some years since Kyocera have given up camera production but still retain the rights to the Contax brand. Maybe they will sell those rights though if they are serious about not making any more cameras. And CZ and Cosina have shown that they can use the Zeiss Ikon name so it may be Contax by another (illustrious) name until the mess is sorted and that wouldn't be too bad. We also know that Cosina can make (with Epson) digital cameras despite earlier assertions that they would have nothing to do with digital or is that apochryphal?
Thanks for keeping us informed Dirk,
John

Dirk

Regrettably, I would place this release in the "nightmare" category. The statement says:

Since this existing contract is supposed to be in effect for several more years, Carl Zeiss, at present, cannot give any statements on the future development.

Which company is in the driving seat - Kyocera or CZ? I hope it isn't Kyocera. This bland "corporate speak" may satisfy the lawyers but it certainly doesn't satisfy customers. Are we supposed to pick up on phrases such as "supposed to be in effect" and "at present" and take some hope from them? It is a lot to ask.

I bought into the Contax N system with the N1, expecting to have a digital upgrade route. I am a relatively poor enthusiastic amateur and the investment was huge by my standards. I am now locked into a system that I cannot currently afford to leave. Although I am still happy to shoot film I am very frustrated that I have been denied the option that encouraged me to buy Contax in the first place.

How ironic that people are now buying Contax lenses to use with their top end Canon digitals - and getting fantastic results. I hope CZ is watching but I'm not sure.

Hi John,

I would interprete it this way: There are still all options open. It will depend on how much Kyocera want to block any future Contax phantasy, but I might be wrong...

Regarding the MM-system, I do not think that there is a big risk IF Zeiss decides to go this route in the future. They could easily develop a Zeiss-Ikon body with Cosina based on the Contax S2 with the C/Y mount but instead of a Contax label a Zeiss Ikon label on it. AFAIK there is no copyright protection (Patent) which could block using the lens mount of the manual focus system. I assuem that withthe MM mount, a fullsize sensor might not be possible - or at least very difficult.

Add to this 5-7 new MM-lenses and the future looks great
happy.gif

With the N-system it is more difficult. It is surely the better choice if you think about going digital, because lens mount and lenses are specifically designed for the use with a DSLR. But this implies a very sophisticated know-how in developing and producing this kind of stuff. Difficult to find a partner with that know-how, who sees this not as a too dangerous competitions for its own brand
happy.gif

But we can be all sure that Zeiss is not sitting there, doing nothing. It is obvious that they try hard to find a solution. It is not only about our future as Contax users, it is about the future of Zeiss in the camera market...

And yes, people from Carl Zeiss and from Kyocera are watching this forum closely
wink.gif

Hi,

Seems to me that Zeiss should be trying to get a pathway around the N system as a way forward in the DSLR. As stated the use of the lens on a Canon system seems to indicate that Zeiss needs to find away for the N digital as one of the systems of the future. Not sure how hard this would be for the current model to be updated to get back in the game. Sony or Cosina seem to me a good fit as this extends there product lines into this market which surely will expand to be the pro market?

As I ahve just bought the N system (N1) I hope that there is a future into the digital world although am very happy with the film option for now as not sure what will happen to the film market in the next five years. I hope that it will get a second wind as still think the results are unmatched.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the future of Contax. If we take a snapshot of what Kyocera has, we see the assets they have are the Contax brand name (for however long that may be), their intellectual property (namely the camera designs) and the manufacturing plants/machinery. On the other hand, they still have the commitment to service cameras for up to 10 more years - a liability that might be quite costly. Experience suggests that over time, the assets diminish and the liabilites get larger!!

So I can see Kyocera wanting to get out quite quickly since they do have something to sell to another manufacturer.

One thing that isn't clear, and perhaps Dirk can clear up. Who owns the rights to the C/Y mount and the N mount? Is it Kyocera or is it Zeiss? If it is Zeiss, then there is nothing to stop them using a third party manufacturer to come out with non-Contax branded cameras that take those lenses. Now what I would do for an Alpa that takes my N lenses!!!
happy.gif

Happy Snapping, Cheers, Saras

Thanks for your reply Dirk,
I would enjoy seeing a new MM mount model because I have C/Y lenses and cameras and love them and at the moment am happy with scanned film. Whether or not it would have wide commercial appeal is another matter.

But looking at the excellent results taken digitally posted by Marc and DJ from N mount lenses I can certainly see the appeal of that. Personally though, the required investment would be too much. Also, I am sure that I am not alone in not being keen on big heavy cameras.

It is a big shame that Kyocera did not capitalise on the ND and develop further models. Maybe they would have lead the world - full size CCD sensor and CZ lenses. It's hard to understand their thinking; water under the bridge though.

I wonder if Cosina and Epson could make an S2 type body with an RD1 type sensor. There would be the cropping factor to take into account using current MM lenses but maybe they (and Cosina a la Voigtlander?) could develop special wider angles to use as wide angle and standard lenses. I don't expect that CZ would want or need help or co-operation in the lens department though.
John

Back