DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

What would you change in the successor to X100V?

Personally, I wouldn't change much, as for me it is the perfect travel and street photography camera.

1. IBIS would change the form of the X1xxX too much, and I don't think IBIS is all that much needed in that type of a body, so hard pass there.
  2. I would like to see the button joystick, though. I don't at all have any issues with the current menu system, or even the finger slide way to access menu settings or functions. But the joystick would be a bonus.
  3. The current lens is fantastic. It is what really set aside the X100V from the X100F, which I thought was a very good camera. If it comes down to it, I wouldn't change it for any other. 28mm FF equiv. is something I would definitely consider though, as long as they kept it at f/2
  4. Front panel MCS like the XT-5/4/3, would be nice, but again it would change the form factor. Could this be incorporated as a function setting with a button joystick on the rear panel?
  5. Assuming either the new sensor in the X-H2S or the X-HS/XT-5 will be in the successor; I'd opt for the 40 mpx sensor. a stacked sensor would change the form too much. Having said that, if they left the exact same sensor in, and made just the minor aforementioned mods,
I would only want the 40mp sensor, the rest is perfect. No ibis, if it makes the camera larger in any way.

Personally, I wouldn't change much, as for me it is the perfect travel and street photography camera.

1. IBIS would change the form of the X1xxX too much, and I don't think IBIS is all that much needed in that type of a body, so hard pass there.
  2. I would like to see the button joystick, though. I don't at all have any issues with the current menu system, or even the finger slide way to access menu settings or functions. But the joystick would be a bonus.
  3. The current lens is fantastic. It is what really set aside the X100V from the X100F, which I thought was a very good camera. If it comes down to it, I wouldn't change it for any other. 28mm FF equiv. is something I would definitely consider though, as long as they kept it at f/2
  4. Front panel MCS like the XT-5/4/3, would be nice, but again it would change the form factor. Could this be incorporated as a function setting with a button joystick on the rear panel?
  5. Assuming either the new sensor in the X-H2S or the X-HS/XT-5 will be in the successor; I'd opt for the 40 mpx sensor. a stacked sensor would change the form too much. Having said that, if they left the exact same sensor in, and made just the minor aforementioned mods,
1) IBIS for some beautiful night shots and light trails AND
2) a screen similar to XE4 for selfies with friends and my other half.

If XE5 gets IBIS then that would be my next camera..

40 mp sensor
IBIS

Better autofocus
Double sd card slots (unlikely to happen)
= much bigger camera.

Just curious - why do u (and others) think IBIS is so needed in a camera like the X100x series?

I borrowed a Ricoh GRIII from a friend last time I was in San Francisco - I would never buy one, even though it is a fine camera, not having an EVF is a deal killer for me -because I've been told it was a really nice camera for street photography, was better for low light, and the IBIS was such an added benefit.

In order:

1. It was. If they ever solved the dust getting into the lens issue in a future edition, I'd probably pick one up in spite of not having an EVF.
  2. It really wasn't. The X100V was just as good in low light and night street photography, and the SOOC jpegs in Provia, Classic Chrome, and Classic Neg I just preferred over the SOOC Ricoh JPEGs. (FTR, I shoot RAW +JPEG on all bodies.)
  3. If it was I sure didn't notice it. I took numerous side-by-side shots with the GRIII and the X100V, to me, not a whit's worth of difference.

Well, yeah, that's the big question. Assuming the 40 mp sensor will be in the successor, with an according jump in price...adding IBIS would precipitate another price increase, in addition to making the body much larger.

Now you're talking a fixed lens camera that is getting into the price range around $2K.

The positive that would come would be that maybe the TikTok craze that blew up the prices on the X100V will eventually subside (I think that's being seen already on the used market at places like MPB and KEH here stateside) and a successor would have a corresponding effect. I'm very much hoping that as rumored, Leica will soon announce the Q3, as I've always lusted after a Q2, just don't feel like having to sell a kidney to get one ;)
To expand on the last paragraph, I visited Samy's camera the other day and asked about the availability of the X100V either new or used. At that particular store the manager, a friend of mine, said there are 200 backorders for new units. And no used units available. If there are 200 backorders at one camera store (part of a chain), in one state, and in one country, imagine the volume of requests/orders worldwide! As you say, one would hope a successor could be announced but Fuji, thanks to a TikToc influencer, has to ramp up production in some manner to satisfy the demand.... if they can. No one knows when an internet "fad" will catch on and catch the manufacturer by surprise.

I like some of the upgrade ideas mentioned here.....especially a lower price. But if I were Fuji I would sit on the new release for awhile and fulfill all the backorders.... if they can.
The X100V is a solid performer as is. One disclaimer: I have not read any of the text of interviews with Fuji execs recently about the future of the X100series. I may just be blowing smoke. BTW.... I still have my original X100!

One additional comment. One would think Leica would announce their Q3. The Q2 has been out awhile. But even a tad shy of 3+ times the price of an X100V it is not easy to find a black version. There are some of the "boutique" versions, as I call them, that are available here and there but it seems even a $5800 US or so cam cannot remain on shelves. Good quality used ones are difficult to find. I wonder whether or not Leica is just sitting on an announcement. BTW you are going to need to auction of both kidneys because a Q3 is not going to be cheaper. Hey, Dirk...... how far is the Leica plant from where you live? Maybe you could get an update?

Yours truly wants to have a X100V for travel. But I will settle for an X-T5 w/23mm f/2 and also have with me the 27mm pancake. That pancake makes for a very light carry cam.

Bob

= much bigger camera.

Just curious - why do u (and others) think IBIS is so needed in a camera like the X100x series?

Well not necessarily. X-T series for example. X-T5 is even smaller in some ways than X-T3 and X-T5 has IBIS but X-T3 does not have. I'm quite certain that Fujifilm engineers could build IBIS into X100VI and the size would not increase dramatically at least. Maybe a few millimeters. Benefits of IBIS are obvious and I for example take quite a lot of photos in dim lightning (museums, churches, indoor events) where IBIS would be very very handy to lower ISO and get better image quality (cleaner images) Not to mention that if they put new 40 mp sensor in X100VI, camera shake will be more obvious than in 26 mp sensor.

Personally I would also love to have double SD card slots (again X-T1 did not have and X-T2 did but size difference ain't that big) Reason is that X100VI would be mostly my holiday and travel camera AND I would hate to lose my photos because of a memory card failure especially if I travel to once in a lifetime place. Second card would solve that problem. Another option would be internal storage like Hasselblad X2D 100C has. Not sure which option would be smaller and/or more cost beneficial? Fuji engineers would probably know better.

I would not care so much if size would increase a little bit but so would probably the price also. I would preorder one in a heartbeat however. To each their own I guess.

I personally do not like the 23mm focal length. For me I would be much happier with a 16mm.

I've always thought that the X100 series should be issued with different noninterchangable lenses: There'd be a 33 or 35mm, 23mm, 18mm, and maybe a 14mm version. Same body, but available with different focal lengths. I'd buy at least 2 of them, maybe all 3 or 4.

My Wish.

Lite version
-Cheaper version (“nerfed”) only EVF
-Same internals as X100v

X100 successor
-Align MP, processor to current X-T5
-Better AF-C performance etc
-Built in SSD storage (128gb?) + option to accept SD cards
-Option for smaller raw files (e.g. Leica M11)

Back