DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Skippers

DNSJR

2 min. ago | #717
Skippers are a family of the Lepidoptera (moths and butterflies) named the Hesperiidae. Skippers are considered an intermediate form between butterflies and moths. The head and small, stout body of the adult tend to resemble those of a moth. However, when at rest, most skippers hold the first pair of wings vertically, as butterflies do.

_DSC9452_DxO.jpg
  • SONY - ILCE-6300
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/500 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100
_DSC9479_DxO.jpg
  • SONY - ILCE-6300
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/320 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

Great images and description

I like those very much! One thing - I don't know why but I had to try flipping the first one horizontally and cropping away some of the left side afterwards - and the resulting picture looked more pleasing to my eye. I could share the result if you're interested and allow me to do so.
OTOH it might just be me... :)

Thanks for sharing!

Phil

I like those very much! One thing - I don't know why but I had to try flipping the first one horizontally and cropping away some of the left side afterwards - and the resulting picture looked more pleasing to my eye. I could share the result if you're interested and allow me to do so.
OTOH it might just be me... :)

Thanks for sharing!

Phil
Phil, you're from DP Review, glad to see you here, Yes, I would like see it, thank you

Okay, here my version - but again it may be just me. :)
_DSC9452_DxO-01.jpeg
  • SONY - ILCE-6300
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/500 sec
  • Pattern
  • Auto exposure
  • ISO 100

For me this version leads the eye more to the skipper, because its diagonal (upper wing) leads into the pic, not out of it. The viewer's eye then can follow the proboscis for a round-trip inviting for more explorations of this fine capture.

And yes, I am coming over from dpreview to try the possibilities here. So far nice interface of the forum, I have to say.

Phil

Okay, here my version - but again it may be just me. :) View attachment 1238
For me this version leads the eye more to the skipper, because its diagonal (upper wing) leads into the pic, not out of it. The viewer's eye then can follow the proboscis for a round-trip inviting for more explorations of this fine capture.

And yes, I am coming over from dpreview to try the possibilities here. So far nice interface of the forum, I have to say.

Phil
thanks Phil, looks good!

Back