DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax RX

Hi John,

you will find the answers in the overview about Contax/Zeiss thread in this forum.

Click on Zeiss articles and on the article about the photo-chain.

dirk

I read in one post here that the> RX is being dropped, too bad, for my money, it is the best SLR ever > produced.

Actually , Kyocera have said that it will be "replaced" rather than "dropped"........ Steve

In fact, it is, at least to me, one of the most exciting features of the RX that you don't need fussing around with mirror lock-up. I have used it to a great extend on tripod, often with exposure time in the critical range, and have never met any visible sign of mirror slap. Also, the RX's considerable weight makes it easy to hold it steady at longer exp.times.
marc

Can anyone advise me on whether I will get 'better' results with an ST or an RX. I have an opportunity to buy both 2nd hand and the ST is marginally more expensive. I will probably be using a 50/1.4 lens......am I going to get pretty much the same results? What about the 167; will this give similar results with the 50/1.4 or could I expect better results with the ST/RX. All advice appreciated.

Hello Michael,

in my opinion the results are most dependent on the lens! Contax cameras have such high quality that exposure should be equal at all of the cameas.
I've got the ST. Its a quite simple to use camera with an intuitive control layout.
The RX offers some more functions like this focus indicator and some programmable custom functions.
I also had an 167MT as my first contax years ago. I don't liked it for the control switch and the display on top of it. Viwfinder information was great, the results also!
Try all those cameras and take the one you like most in your hands!

Matthias

All three Cameras produce identical results under most circumstances.

RX:

Pro: excellently d&ened mirror which allows for longer free-hand exposures. Very silent. DFI. 5 Pin flash control. Very nice Control-Layout. Best "feeling" in the hands IMHO

Con: The DFI is pretty useless. Slow and doesn't work if the viewfinder is too dim (which is exactly where you would need it most). I like the ST-Viewfinder more. Only uses Lithium Batteries, no Battery holder with a vertical Shutter-release.

ST:

Pro: Imho better viewfinder, faster shutter (important for fill-flash). Uses AAA Batteries and has a Battery grip for AA with a second Shutter release. Has a Ceramic pressure-plate for guiding the film.

Con: louder. More mirror-vibration.

167:

Pro: considerably cheaper, more compact, lighter. Fast, Normal and Slow Program Modes (I use them pretty often on the 167 while I use nearly only Tv on the others). Uses AAA or with a grip adapter AA Batteries.

Con: Very strange controls compared to the other contaxes (but you get used to it quite well IMHO). (depending on your taste you may consider being lighter and more compact a con as well)

With all three cameras you can't really go wrong. It's more to the lenses and your success in finding sujets and composing them.

But if you shoot mostly freehand, with slow lenses or Zooms or use Tele often you should go for the RX because of it's excellent d&ing. Because it's so silent it's also a good choice for some areas where less shutter noise is helpfull.

Hi! Folks. It may be a surprise to many of you to know that I have just traded in my N1,and the two lenses 24-85,and 70-300mm, for a trial period with an RX. Yes you may well say, for goodness sake why?
I did have an RX a few years ago, and had some wonderful results with it, until foolishly, I thought I could do better with a Canon System,forget it. The RX, and its associated prime lenses, to me are an absolute pleasure to use,providing the user with superb results.
Why then go from the N1 to the RX, the answer to me is simple,the differential in price.
Having used both cameras,and their respective lenses,I still can,t justify the differential in the quality to price ratio,and still believe that the prime lenses,have the beatings of the modern day Zooms,and to be perfectly honest I just could not afford to add to the two lenses that I had for the N1.
I have to give credit to my local Contax Dealer in Clitheroe who agreed to let me have the use of a second hand RX, as the rumour of an upgraded RX was a possibilty, but Dirk has answered that query with his recent posting, it ain,t going to happen, so for me,it is a new RX,to go along with the lenses that I hold the 28.35.50.and 85mm primes, and still have cash to buy another lense.
Yes! as I have said, I did have an RX some years ago, but it would be very nice to hear of any comments Good or Bad, that any of you may have relating to the RX, before I ask my dealer, to get me a new RX. Good Shooting.
Kind Regards. Ken Taylor.

I traded in an N1 & Vs24-85 for an RX, D28, P50 and P85 and couldn't be happier.

I though the RX replacement was a fact and not a rumor. Wasn't there a press release on Kyocera's site stating that?

Hi Marc,

there was indeed a press release on the Kyocera site. But this press release actually announced only the discontinuation of the old RX and that they are thinking about a replacement in the future. No exact date there. According to my sources this should have been also this photokina. But it seems, as often with Kyocera, that there was a change in mind in the last second...

dirk

Dirk! Do you think it is worth trying to contact Frazer Allan, to get absolute clarification,as to wether there is going to be a replacement for the RX. If there is fine I shall wait,and continue to use the second hand one that I have,if not then I will buy a new one,as I have geat faith in the RX,and its associated prime lenses.
Did you see Frazer at Photokina to get any info,as to what is likely to happen.
Cheers Ken Taylor.

Back