DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Which lens should i buy

Cathy,
Hmm, it's sort of a tough one, at the same time that I can be very critical, I am totally willing to say that if something floats someones boat that they should go with it, have fun. Who am I to stop someone's fun? : )
In a large way it is a matter of culture, and culture being so infinitely diverse, it becomes about personal judgement. Sometimes the distortion of extreme wide angles is annoying. Sometimes they carry the day. It's probabaly harder to shoot with a straight lens because you don't have the extra-normal distortion that oohs many people. Bill Brandt did totally wonderful work with an ultra wide as do many people. The more I think about it, the less I care.
I guess I would just ask a person making head shots with 21mm lens if it is an integral part of their work, or if they could just as well be using a coke bottle for a lens. I just hope people have fun with their cameras... : )

90% of my wideangel pictures a taken with 24mm, becase it is a little bit "dramatic" than the 28mm. And I can say with all respect, that I got some of the best 28mm´s in the world, and my 24mm 2.8 is for my Nikon system. But the 21mm Super Angulon 3.4 is my favorite lense for my Leica system.

Hi Garth, Thanks for the explanation. LOLOL. I get what you mean now.
happy.gif
Images of dog faces close to a wide angle lens jump to mind.
happy.gif
Cathy

I have a M6TTL .72 with a 50mm 2.0 and a 35mm 2.0 both silver or chrome. My M6 is chrome. Now my question is: I'm considering buying a 90mm 2.0. Would there be any reason why I won't want to buy a chrome 90mm vs. black. Please help me out. Thanks JR

>[...The chrome weighs 685 grams and the black weighs 410 grams.

Tina

>...]

> Tina, I believe the 410g black lens is for the 90mm f/2.8 elmarit, not the summicron. I think, off the top of my head, the 90 cron lens weighs about

>According to my "Identifying Leica Lens" book, the Summicron 90mm f/2 >black weighs 410 grams. The Summicron 90mm f/2 silver weighs 685 grams.

Tina www.tinamanley.com

Back