CI Photocommunity

Register a free account now!

If you are registered, you get access to the members only section, can participate in the buy & sell second hand forum and last but not least you can reserve your preferred username before someone else takes it.

My Reason for choosing Sigma

yukoner

I had stopped shooting about 12 or so years ago as everything was going digital and I didn't like the images that digital was providing. Then, one day about 6 months ago I came across an image created by the Foveon sensor and Sigma SD14 that intriqued me. So, I did some research.

Having come from the family of another manufacturer noted for it's glass and ability to capture on film, in a previous era, I was very hesitant as it was our belief then that Sigma was only for rank beginners and certainly not the quality needed for those of us shooting professionally.

I have now purchased an SD14 with the 18-200 DC OS lens and a couple of EF 500 Super flashes. While I am finding that not everything works quite as well as the manual would have me believe, I am very impressed with the final images being created. I have no problem working around the "quirks" that the Sigma products (the electrical components) have presented me in order to get the wonderful photos.

I look forward to increased quality control and even better cameras in future. One day I may even purchase a DP1

Norm

foveonfan

That's great, Norm. Not so sure I'd follow with purchasing a DP1. But that's only because cannot see it providing me with any extra benefit over and above the SD14. :)

Sincere regards, Jim R

yukoner

DP1 decision

That's great, Norm. Not so sure I'd follow with purchasing a DP1. But that's only because cannot see it providing me with any extra benefit over and above the SD14. :)

Sincere regards, Jim R

I probably wouldn't either Jim, that was just an afterthought. I really like the images created by the DP1 and keep reading that it somehow captures differently than the SD series, however, in retrospect I would rather purchase something like a 50-500 lens or perhaps a second SD camera body instead.

Norm

tc95

Sigma 80-400mm EX

yukoner,

I have played with the DP1....Like it as a general P&S camera...it does take stunning pictures...and with a little imagination you can adapt it to do more than it was intended....

However, I would also like to recomend the 80-400mm EX lens...very nice very fast on the D14..a little slower on the D10 that I have...but overall a very nice piece of glass....

Just my two cents..

Tony C. :z04_cowboy:

yukoner

Nice of you to comment

Thanks Tony. I have also looked at the 80-400 EX you suggest. I am a ways away from deciding though as either will set me back a few dollars...that I don't have right now :)

I have an 18-50 f2.8 on it's way to me as we write. Looking forward to working with this lens for some portraiture.

Norm

tc95

Good Luck...

If it is anything like the 20-40 F2.8 you will love it....Have fun shooting....

Tony C.