DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Good morning from Chester, UK

andybarton

Just a quick introduction as my first post, as suggested by the forum software ;)

I am Andy Barton. I am a long time Leica user and a moderator on the Leica User Forum.

Over a coffee or two, with one of my friends, a member over there who also uses Hasselblads, he suggested that for the kind of stuff that interests me, I really ought to think about moving up a gear to MF. So, here I am to look and learn and start to put together a "starter" system. Helpfully, he has a 503CX to sell...

So, I would be very grateful for advice re a suitable lens. My most cfommonly used lens on my Leicas is a 35 Summicron ASPH, and on my Nikon D700, it's my Leica 28 Elmarit-R, so I am thinking that a 50mm on the 503CX would be where I should be heading.

My website, so that you can gauge the sort of thing I enjoy shooting is in a link that will probably be deleted because I'm a newbie, but a google search for my user name here will find me.

I am very grateful for any advice that you can offer.

Welcome Andy. I knew I had seen your name somewhere before. I shoot 95% Hasselblad but also a little Leica. If the 35mm is your favorite on your Leica I would look at the 60mm lens for a Hasselblad. Very similar subject sizes at similar distances although everything is a little different in the square format. If you have never shot in the square it could be challenging! It was for me but I am now very comfortable. The 503cx is a fine machine especially if you use flash in any of your work. Ask away, there is a wealth of knowledge here!

Regards, Terry

Thank you Terry

I used to use my Dad's Rolleicord (is that an allowable word here? :) ) back in the 70s, and rather like the difference between using a rangefinder and an SLR, the left brain/right brain thing definitely needs to be exercised with a square format, reverse image.

I'm looking forward to it!

Converting aov from 35 mm into a suitable equivalent in MF is not just arithmathic.

I have a hunch you could be quite happy with a 50 mm Distagon lens.
The 50 mm Distagon is the most used WA lens by Hasselblad users.
It would help to find a forum user in your area to show you the lens and maybe let you shoot a couple of films with it.

Knowing you have used a 35 mm ASPH I would suggest to look for the FLE version of the 50 mm Distagon.
Although Zeiss only made excellent and even better lenses for Hasselblad the FLE versions of the 50 mm Distagon are cream of the crop.

Vic.

Thanks Vic.

I have picked up a 50 Distagon (not an FLE version - a cheap one!) and I collect the 503CX this evening. Will have a good play over the weekend - which reminds me. I must go to Calumet to pick up some film!

I am very much testing the water with this kit. If for whatever reason I don't get on with it, I will pass it on and so I am restricting my initial investment. However, if my Leica experience is anything to go by, a cheap introduction by way of a 1960 M2 and 1973 50 Summicron, quickly progresses into M7s and R8/DMR combos with a shelf full of lenses... :)

Hello Andy,

Sounds promising to say the least.

Remember there are only two kinds of Zeiss lenses for Hasselblad.......

I am sure you will be positively surprised with first results.

Over thirty years ago I switched from a wonderful Leica M4 with Summilux 1.4 lens to Hasselblad and never regretted it.

Vic.

If for whatever reason I don't get on with it, I will pass it on and so I am restricting my initial investment. However, if my Leica experience is anything to go by, a cheap introduction by way of a 1960 M2 and 1973 50 Summicron, quickly progresses into M7s and R8/DMR combos with a shelf full of lenses... :)

Confident that your Leica shelf will have some space on it before long as your Hasselblad success rate climbs to 1:1.

Horses for courses, but on the open trail, your 50 CF cannot be matched by any small format film lens.

Hope you're going to have fun and post them here for our enjoyment.

Hi Andy,

As a fellow Leica Forum member and R user I have enjoyed reading many of your posts.

I was so disappointed by the abandonment of the R10 project and the very high costs of the S2 system that I decided to invest in the Hasselblad V system last year.

My reasoning was that I could build up a film based system for a fraction of the costs of the S2 and then later on I could get a digital back. It also suits my personal style for high quality, manual, German built lenses coupled with superior mechanical design. The secondhand prices for the equipment are also very low.

It is also true to say that when one compares the size and weight of the professional digital 35mm SLR's and AF zoom lenses there is not that much difference to the V system.

The results so far have a very special quality to the images that is very hard to compare to 35mm.

I still have all of my R equipment and hope for an R digital solution, but I am now completely captivated by the Hasselblad V system.

Regards

Kevin

Sounds like Andy will have a hard time not to invest some more in Hasselblad gear.

Good to know there are some absolute bargains floating around.
Time is a good friend when looking for lenses.

Vic.

Back