DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Copyright Nlens mount etc

dirk

DPRF-Founder
Administrator
Hi,

a couple of days agao, you asked for a clarification on who is owning which lens mount. So this is the information we got.It is not double checked by lawyers, but we can assume that it is correct:

1. The C/Y mount is very old and any kind of protection rights/ copyrights are not valid anymore. So everybody who would like to, could use this mount now.

2. The N-system mount is Kyocera the owner of the copyright. Also nobody except Koycera knows the Datatransfer between N-lenses and the N-bodies.

This sounds pretty tricky to me. In other words: The continuation of the N-system is only possible, if Kyocera is not blocking it. They have either to "sell" the patents and the know-how to a new cooperation partner of Zeiss, or they have to produce for this cooperation partner in the future this system. This would imply that they really have nothing to do anymore with marketing etc. of the Contax brand. They would act the same ways as zthey do for Leica and all others, for whom the currently produce lenses, do R&D etc.

Now, the question is:

a) is Kyocera to proud to do that?
b) Do they have enough capacity free for this? - Depending on the internal demand for their ressources from other departmennts i.e. mobile phones or other camera-brands i.e. leica, etc.
c) If orders from Leica et alii would disappear (as a scenario), is Kyocera willing to keep up the facilities only for a future cooperation partner of Zeiss or would they close down the whole production for the photo-industry?

We have to bear in mind, that the whole industry is suffering and almost nobody makes money at the moment. Worst case, a few well known brands will disappear from the market over the next few years. If that is the case, this will also influence Kyoceras ability to work coist efficiently in this industry as a pure producer for others.

Many question marks, I would say - more than I like to have...

Thanks Dirk, for looking into the patent situation.

However, there is a third scenario for the N mount - and that is to do nothing with it and let it disappear altogether. I agree that there will be quite a few brands disappearing eg. Bronica - are they producing anything at this moment in time?

On the bright side, it would be nice for someone to use the C/Y mount!!

Cheers, Saras

Let me dream a little ... may be fantascience ...
Considering the high reputation of German lenses survives, the situation about Contax future, the fact Leica is in deep crisis ...

A dream ...

A giant Leica-Contax brand who make reflex with common Zeiss-Leitz lenses (in order to avoid to fight each other)

:)

Oh, something is ringing ...
:-(

Ulisse

I guess we'll never see that N mount 35/1.4 I had hoped for.

Oh well, N mount & Zeiss has been a labor of love for awhile, and they are still making new films for 35mm so we should be happy it made it this far.

Anyone want to sell their N100/2.8 Macro or N400/4?

Also, I was going to get an NX for a smaller vacation camera but no one has the diopter correction lenses that I can find. Is there another camera brand diopter that fits the NX? It says they are FL type on the Kyocera web site. Any help would be appreciated.

Ugo, your dream is wonderful. Let's dream on more... thinking globally ...

Leica and Contax join forces and produces a line of super fast optics for rangefinder and SLR cameras all made in Germany... their business partner for camera bodies is Epson allied with Fovan ... who, with Epson's financial backing develops a proprietary full frame chip and software that leapfrogs Canon and Nikon. The Epson camera firmware has proprietary ability to link with a line of super Epson desktop printers that produce perfect prints through super scanning analysis of each image (closed loop technology). The world of photography is stunned by the massive leap forward. Canon struggles to keep up. Nikon folds it's tent and goes quietly into the night. For their unwavering devotion and belief in Contax and Leica, loyal customers are awarded a lifetime discount for all products ; -)

I would like to think that the N system can still be a future strategy as well as the other mounts. Maybe the dream is that Zeiss takes Contax back into the market with Kyocera still doing the production. This protects Zeiss and provides continued revenue for Kyocera. If there is a G3 and a N2 Digital this should not be that hard to join the current market.

I don't want to consider that the N mount and N system are dead there must be away to take them forward into the digital market beyond the N digital.

Leica just replaced their brand new CEO (in place since 4 months - Ralf Coenen) with Dr. Spichtig, who shall be an interims solution.

I wonder whether he wanted to leave the boat before it is sinking or whether there are other reasons for this replacement..

So a lot of speculation is going on there too
happy.gif

I agree with Marc. I only can recommend to buy any kind of N-gear and shoot with it as long as you get it that cheap. It is definitely cheaper than any kind of Nikon or Canon gear. In case there will be no future for the N-system, you did not loose too much money, but did get great quality with Zeiss glass for the price of a hot-dog
happy.gif

Last week a german dealer tried to sell on ebay a brand new (with wararanty) N24-85 zoom for 399.- Euro (buy-now option) - and nobody bought it. I have already one, but was to close to buy this as a second one just because of that price
happy.gif

Leica prices are also going south dramatically on ebay. Surprisingly not in the US. You get it significant cheaper in Geramany (www.ebay.de). The prices went down around 30% second hand over the last 6 months. Leica R7 for 600 Euro (new price was around 2000 Euro), Leica R8 for around 750 Euro (although upgradable with the digital back)...

So this seems to be a crisis for brands that are mainly focused on analogue cameras, with no convincing upgrade path for a DSLR. The perfect timing to buy great stuff at a bargain. All are able to take pictures over the next 20 years.

Buy it and enjoy our photo-galleries and upcoming photo-competitions with it
happy.gif

"...For their unwavering devotion and belief in Contax and Leica, loyal customers are awarded a lifetime discount for all products ; -)..."

I do think all members of our Contax and Leica forum should get a SLR and on e lens for free, for their enthusiastic marketing efforts
happy.gif

"... Maybe the dream is that Zeiss takes Contax back into the market with Kyocera still doing the production..."

As I stated earlier, this is one of the options Zeiss is trying to double check. But this depends on the view and will of Koycera, as far as I understood it.

My dream would be the C/Y mount being reincarnated by another manufacturer but who makes models as good as Kyocera made. When you see the amount of advertising that other brands do and consider how litle Kyocera did, it is not surprising that people did not buy their cameras. I expect that people have never heard of Contax and don't know what it represents and is capable of.
Another dream would still be a digital G3 using existing lenses.
Did anyone else see the complementary review of the G2 in British Journal of Photography edition of 21.07.04 which I have only just now read?

An RX I, an Aria and an S2 is all that I ask for. I'm not asking for any upgrades or for more bells and whistles, just those three great cameras to continue.
rofl.gif
talker.gif

Back