DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax G2

"One caveat about the titanium, there seems to be many different hues/of titanium. The body resembles a greyer tone titanium, but the lenses tend to have a yellower hue to it while the hoods and caps even have slightly different hues not to mention the TLA-200 flash."

Only the G1/G2's skin is titanium... and very thin at that. The lenses are made of aluminum alloy, painted to look titanium.

Titanium has its own color / texture that's difficult to render by paint. Hence the color mis-match.

Almond -
you are correct that with the 50 mm focal length you will be very hard pressed finding any differences in quality regardless what brand you are looking at, because this focal length formula has long since been optically optimized. Much better to look at zooms, particular those with a wide angle. There you'll see important differences, as I have.

Wow! Thank you, guys for your time and input. In the past, I like the black finish. All my cameras are in black finish. Maybe I could try titanium finish for G2. What's more, for now it is cheaper to buy separate G2 with 45 mm plus flash package, 28mm, and 90 mm in titanium finish than the kit in black finish. It saves about $500. I think it is worth to save $500.

I have the black finish G2 and although I like the look of it, I do = find that the black body finger marks badly whereas my titanium finish = T2 does not show marks at all.

John

I agree that the black body shows a lot more fingerprints and greasy spots. That's the price for shooting undercover ;-)

When I am back at the home base I usually clean the lenses with an air blower and the body with a microfiber cloth.
I had to do this with the titanium version as well since I consistently touch the AF-emitter-windows, which might possibly affect focusing ability.

Enjoy whatever color is your favorite, and enjoy it a lot!

Till

Hello all,
I started having a shutter problem today with my G2. About half way through my day of shooting around town, my shutter started bouncing from bulb to 2s to 150. If I have it at 2000, and slightly touch the shutter dial, within the viewfinder the speed bouces all over the place. I'm assuming that it will need some repairing, but am also curious if anyone has experienced something similar.

Also, if anyone could recommend a decent Contax repair shop in California, that would be great.

thanks for your help

-kevin

>I had a similar problem: in Auto the speed would switch to Manual >and return when I touched the speed dial. It cost =A3129GBP to have a >"dry solder" repaired. Since I had just bought the G2 on approval I >did not have to pay it. chris

> Hi Kevin,

I had to have a shutter replaced in Nov. 02, and shipped my G2 To Kyocera for repair.

Kyocera Optics, Inc. 2301-200 Cottentail Lane Somerset, NJ 08873 732-450-0060

I shipped the camera from the Cayman Islands and had it back within a week. I received a quote via email within a couple of days. Cost was $145. + shipping & they check all camera functions. Service was fast and very courteous and is warranteed for 6 months.

Just needed some advice- I purchased my G2 about four years ago with the 35mm. I shoot reportage but am now starting to shoot more formal portraits. (I also have the 90 but rarely use it.)

I've continuously read in the lens portion of the forum that the 35mm is far weaker than the 45 or 28, so I ordered the 45mm, but also want something wider for documentary. My question is one of preference and differences in the quality of the 21mm vs. the 28mm. Does anyone have both and could recommend one over the other? Any help at all would be appreciated.

Hi Jamey,

I use both the 21, 28, 35, 45, and 90 and find the 90 is excellent for portraits. Both the 28 and 35 are excellent for documentary, and the 21 is stunning for landscape and can be especially dramatic, expecially with an interesting fore-ground. It's also extremely good for shooting in very close quarters, although 28 is good for most wide angle situations and the optics for both are excellent.

You won't go wrong with either the 21 or 28, but keep in mind you must be that much more careful with the 21 in keeping it level (convergence). Having said that, I found that I was wishing I had a 16 in a recent trip to Kauai given the landscape there!

David

Back