DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Anyone else here into eBikes?

Smaug

DPRF-Patron
I've gotten into them in a big way since last fall. I've commuted to work every day I could all winter. (not well below freezing, not snowy)

Now, spring is finally upon us in my part of the world and the commute is a lot more pleasant.

I have 3 eBikes now, so my wife, stepdaughter and I went for a nice 20 mile (32 km) ride yesterday. It was broken into three legs, but still...

I originally bought the first eBike thinking I'd commute on it and my wife could take it for bike rides with me, and she could keep up while I was still getting some good exercise. That first one was too heavy for her.

Here are a couple snapshots from strangers. I particularly like how the one person had the lighthouse growing out of my wife's head, instead of putting it off to the side a little. :sneaky:

There was one member at DPR (are you here now?) who often posted how he went for photo rides with his eBike. Another member (skanter, I think) used to motor around NYC on his eScooter taking street photos. You? Have you ever considered an eBike?

IMG-4678.jpg
IMG-4680.jpg

(First time attaching images here, I think. I resized them to 1800 pixels on the long edge with MS Paint, as I've heard it is kinder to the original image than letting forum software do it.)

The images were made with my stepdaughter's iPhone 11.

A little too much.

I have three upright e-bikes, one of them home-modified with a Grin All-Axle (the other two are Lectrics XP 2.0 and XPedition), and two recumbent tadpole e-bikes, one of them a tandem and both of them home-modified with RH-212s (SunSeeker EZ Tad SX and TerraTrike Rover Tandem). The tandem has 4.5kWh of batteries and 3500W of power.

We went to a family member's house yesterday, 20 miles each way, with me on the XPedition and the kids on the tandem.

A little too much.

I have three upright e-bikes, one of them home-modified with a Grin All-Axle (the other two are Lectrics XP 2.0 and XPedition), and two recumbent tadpole e-bikes, one of them a tandem and both of them home-modified with RH-212s (SunSeeker EZ Tad SX and TerraTrike Rover Tandem). The tandem has 4.5kWh of batteries and 3500W of power.

We went to a family member's house yesterday, 20 miles each way, with me on the XPedition and the kids on the tandem.
Which camera do you bring with you? :z04-photos:

Do you ever fold the Lectrics? I had a similar bike to the XP 2.0 (heybike Ranger) but since it was 75 lbs., the fact that it was foldable wasn't as handy as I imagined it would be!

The blue bike above is a Lectric XP Lite, which is only 44 lbs. (but it is only a single speed and limited to Class 2 by design, not firmware)

Which camera do you bring with you? :z04-photos:

Do you ever fold the Lectrics? I had a similar bike to the XP 2.0 (heybike Ranger) but since it was 75 lbs., the fact that it was foldable wasn't as handy as I imagined it would be!

The blue bike above is a Lectric XP Lite, which is only 44 lbs. (but it is only a single speed and limited to Class 2 by design, not firmware)
I have put it into the back of my car, taken my car for service, and then ridden home.

Hi,

I've had several e-bikes and now have one which is foldable and has 24 inch wheels.
A 7-speed cassette and 9 electric speed settings.
Quite happy with it because I can take it on train rides for free and go on day trips
here in the Netherlands.
I have bad knees but on this bike I can cycle for hours, no problem ;)

André

23-03-17A-DPR.jpg

Gouda Town Hall, NL with my e-bike in the foreground.
Nikon Z5 and Z 2.8 28mm.

No images, but I use the Riese&Muller Charger GT and my wife rides a Flyer Upstreet. I do cycle a lot more than I did with my regular Cannondale (which I still have and isn' t really used anymore):)

Mod edit: Here's the Flyer Upstreet2, maybe similar to Mujana1's wife's:
1683916341718.png

Here's the OP's Charger:
1683916363941.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had several e-bikes and now have one which is foldable and has 24 inch wheels.
A 7-speed cassette and 9 electric speed settings.
Quite happy with it because I can take it on train rides for free and go on day trips
here in the Netherlands.
Just out of curiosity, what is the bikes on trains/buses policy in The Netherlands? If it folds, it's free, if not there's a charge?
...or does it have to fit in a bag, so that it's considered "luggage"?

Here in my area of the USA, if it will fit on the bike rack of the bus, it's free. (fat tire bikes probably wouldn't fit)
We can take them on commuter trains during certain off-peak times and they have to be strapped to a pole.
Folders, we can take them on any train if they are in a bag and are considered luggage.

No images, but I use the Riese&Muller Charger GT and my wife rides a Flyer Upstreet. I do cycle a lot more than I did with my regular Cannondale (which I still have and isn' t really used anymore):)

Mod edit: Here's the Flyer Upstreet2, maybe similar to Mujana1's wife's:
View attachment 9451
Here's the OP's Charger:
View attachment 9452

Thnxs but not exactly right....These are:

Flyer Upstreet 7.23 Black (women version)...model 2019
Riese&Muller Charger GT Vario Red model 2020
Both are with belt / no chain

Just out of curiosity, what is the bikes on trains/buses policy in The Netherlands? If it folds, it's free, if not there's a charge?
...or does it have to fit in a bag, so that it's considered "luggage"?

Here in my area of the USA, if it will fit on the bike rack of the bus, it's free. (fat tire bikes probably wouldn't fit)
We can take them on commuter trains during certain off-peak times and they have to be strapped to a pole.
Folders, we can take them on any train if they are in a bag and are considered luggage.

Day tickets for bikes on trains are 7.50 euros, allowed outside rush hours and during weekends.
Folding bikes are considered luggage and need not be in a bag.
Dutch trains have limited space reserved for bicycles and during the summer months it is usually not enough
which causes irritating situations for us cyclists ;)

André

Back