DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Yashica T Zoom

The printing result from digital lab is lesser depending on the film and the lens of the camera. The fuji digital chain labs are using the first laser printing machine Frontier. After scanning the film by very fast scanner, the computer will then process the data (unsharp mask+contrast control etc) and the image information are then sent to output module (laser) which will expose the paper by laser beam. So, it is not easy to justice the quality of the lens by digital print. If you want to have better quality of digital print,try to find a kodak digital lab which is using the newest machine Noritsu 3xxx series. It is the best quality digital lab.

By the way, the lab that you mention is using the first generation of machine and if you give some clean blue sky image for them to print you will find the scan line!

I am disappointed to read M K Chan's comments on the Yashica T4. I was going to buy one after work today to help make travel to Washington D.C. more manageable during next week's hectic time for travel during the holiday in the U.S. A local camera shop is selling the camera for a good price and is paying local sales tax, so I thought I'd 'go for it.' But if the camera performs poorly, I'd be throwing away money.

May I please ask that members submit comments on their results with the T4?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the good information about the Noritsu digital minilabs, Leo. Here in Hong Kong I have had too many bad experiences with Kodak minilabs that I gave up. Maybe it's because of inadequate training of the operators, or maybe it's bad maintenance of the machines, but whatever the reason, I had too many disapointments from Kodak minilabs here. I avoid them now.

On the other hand, I have a regular Fuji shop I use for the past three years and they have never given me back a bad batch of photos. Always sharp. Always good colour (unles I screwed up the original shot!).

Getting back to the real topic of this thread, the Yashica T Zoom, my point is that one has to investigate what has caused the disappointing results experienced by MK. "Colour is flat, grainy, feels like covered with something". That doesn't sound like Carl Zeiss lens quality to me. That sounds like bad film and bad processing and printing to me.

Hi,
To chk the tessar lens, I suggested to take a roll of slide and chk the image... It is the best way to test the lens...
I agreed that there are too many not-professional mini labs in Hong Kong. Some operators know nothing about what the good photo is.
Take a roll of slide! I had tried this camera and TVS as well. This is good camera but don't espect the quality of the lens is better than average but not the top one. (even the TVS's lens is not the best).

[I can totally concur with Craig’s comments; I was recently blown away with the results from a Boots (UK) lab; it used Fuji processing on a Fuji 200 film. I can honestly say the results were the best I have ever received, some shots were quite surreal. This was on a GR1s Ricoh as well! Thankyou Mum. Boots may not possess a Digital lab (?), but these results were so ahead of the returns I got from Jessops recently. The pricing also stacks up well]

Thanks for the responses. Dianne, sorry that my comment disappointed you. But that's what I got. Don't worry, I gave the camera to my parents and they are now in Japan, they will take some photos using Fuji Superia 200 with the T Zoom, they will be back by Wednesday next week. I will tell you the result later. James, GR1 is very famous for its lens, I am not surprised you took good photos out of it. From the MTF curves of GR1, the lens of GR1 perform far better than that of T3. But MTF curves doesn't mean everything. Sometimes, our perception on the end result is far more important than technical data.

My parents are just back from Japan, it seems that the problem is on Kodak film, both color and sharpness is very good. They use Fuji Superia 200. Some shots are out of focus but it may be due to the fact that they are not yet used to the camera. However, it seems that the sharpness is not as good as my T3. The vignetting problem is not that significant. I would recommend this camera to my friends who want P&S with Zeiss lens but can't afford TVSIII. I like the way to activate spot focus in T Zoom, which T3 should adopt this method. It's very trouble some to use the AFL in T3.

Hi folks!

I saw some pretty good slides done with the Yashica T Zoom, but there are some disadvantages which I saw IMHO:

Colour reproduction is not as good as on my T2, vignetting is sometimes really high (higher than T2), contrast in tele (70) is not at its best.

Nevertheless (esp. for the price) I think this is a real bargain. BTW my T2 does not have any focussing problems, allthough I know that some earlier modells do have problems.

Regards
Wolfgang

By Wolfgang on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 5:29 pm:

"Colour reproduction is not as good as on my T2, vignetting is sometimes really high (higher than T2).."

Lets remember that the T2 is a single focal length 35mm lens. It's not really a fair comparison against a 28-70 zoom. A 28mm (especially a zoom) will, by nature, tend more toward falloff in the corners.

Dan

Back