DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss Sonnar manual focus 135mm/2.8 MM lens - any good?

G

I have an Aria with 50/1.4 and 85/1.4, and have been thinking for a while about adding the new-ish Sonnar 135mm/2.8 to the lineup. The price is pretty good -- around $320 from Delta International -- but I'd like to know how people like it before I go any further. Any views would be welcome.

One of the things I love about the Aria is its light weight, but the flipside is that it's a bit awkward with heavier glass (e.g. the 85/1.4). Will the 135 overwhelm it?

Thanks.

Kirk

> The 135 2.8 is one of my favorite lenses. It is great for details of architecture and very sharp. It is not all that big and I certainly would be comfortable using it with an Aria. Go for

Hi Kirk,

Sonnar 2.8/135 optically is a great lens, no doubt, but has some limitations:
- build in lens hood is better then no hood but has some mechanical problems (it stucks often when pulling in or out)
-if you want to use Mutar converters, you can use Mutar II and III, with Mutar I you get visible dark corners in your pictures
-close focus is only 1.6m
I switched to VS 4/80-200 because of wider range, 1m close focus (gives 1:3,3 scale), only a little more weight and faster focus, and is optically on par with the 135.
Personally I have no problems in handling with Aria + 1.4/85 combination and also Aria + 2.8/135.

Dieter

The 135/2.8 is actually more compact than 85/1.4 and 35/1.4. It's extremely light and small. Go for it!

Does anyone know how the 135mm MM compares with its AE predecessor in = terms of weight?

I'm not much of a long-lens guy; the 135 f2.8 AE is my longest for my Contax Arias. I like it a lot; nice contrast and detail, doesn't overbalance the little Arias. Only downside is the built-in lens shade is too short (never seen a built-in that wasn't, in any maker's line).

To Kirk:
There is no difference in weight and performance between the AE and MM version. This lens is a great performer, but I sold mine because the VS 80-200 is more versatile and only 20% heavier and I don´t need the higher speed of the 135.

Kirk,

I also own an Aria with the 135/2.8. I use mine on a tripod mostly for portraits. Handheld, the weight of the lens is fine with the Aria. I am looking to move up to an RX/AX combo with 100/2.0 lens. I need to get a bit closer to my subjects than the 135 allows, and the larger body will balance better with the heavier lens. But again, the 135 is extremely sharp, portrays beautiful colors, and has a great feel/balance with the Aria. Don't worry about the hood. You'll appreciate that it is there !

Alan
Indianapolis

Hi Kirk,

The 135/2.8 can't be that great but I just had to buy it because I saw a used mm version in mint condition selling for about USD200. I was very surprised when i saw the results. Definitely Zeiss quality and I consider this design compact for a 135/2.8. Only regret is I should have got this years back, just think of years of enjoyment foregone!

Regards,
Andy

Although the image quality isn't as good as my 50mm1.4 (understandably) it is still very good and keeps up the zeiss standard when comparing to other 135mm manufacturers. I would probably trade in if it weren't for the prices s/h i bought it for and fast aperture. metal hood can stickbut is very convenient as is that familiar 55mm filter thread ( i think the 80-200 has the same) . also the whole lens is POCKETABLE!! not just talking about cargo pockets ....it goes it yer jeas or jacket!

Back