DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Zeiss 28/2.8 VS. Zeiss 35/2.8

G

I am trying to decide which lens should add to my new Aria.
I think I am going to purchase the 50/1.7, which leaves me with the option to get another lens:
I prefer a wide-angle, and I can’t make up my mind: 28mm or 35mm? Tell me what you think.
Thank you, Ethan

i own the 28/2.8 and would prefer the 35mm (the 35mm1.4) if you can afford <font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• 28mm is to me too wide and i think not many lenses look better than a 35mm: you can do everything with it and most of all : casual shooting.
i
i would get the 35 and if you really want something really wide, get a 21mm! 28mm is to me kinda in-betwwen.

Hi Ethan,

For many, and I include myself among the group, 35mm is more of a "wide normal" focal length, and that wide angle really begins at 28mm. As an ex&le, I added the 35/2.0 to my G2 kit and began taking it instead of the 45/2.0, even though the 45 is a fantastic lens.

I don't believe that 50+35 combination gives you shooting the flexibility that 50+28 would, especially for landscapes (although if I had a shot at a 35/1.4 at an affordable price I'd be all over it in a heartbeat). If you *do* end up getting a 35, the next wider lens to get later on would be the 25 rather than a 28, again because it's a more dramatic jump in perspective and capabilities.

--Rick

Yeah. The thought is what will be the next wide angle lens after adding this one. If you do not have plan at the moment, it will be 28.

Back