DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Scanner for Medium Format

I also use the Epson 2450 to scan my negatives. For 4x5, including type 55, I use the 4x5 holder to press the negative down. I do not slide the film in the holder because, one, it does not fit, two, it cannot keep the film flat. Same thing for 35mm or 645. I only use the film holder to press down the film. I scan one frame at a time. Very slow process but gives the best result. For high volume scans, I take my film to the lab to do roll scan.

I can't ask too much for it since it is only a $350 scanner which I can scan 4x5, 645 & 35mm films.

>Posted by Pim Willemsen on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 9:20 pm: > >Regarding the scanning of odd-sized negatives or slides with an Epson >2450 scanner: what I've done in the past is scanning an entire strip >of negatives, because the software wasn't able to determine the edges >of the negatives. They were photo's of the eclipse of '99. You do have >to disable automatic detection of your negatives somewhere. After >pre-scanning, you do have to select the area to scan manually. And cut >up the image afterward if you're scanning multiple slides. <font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">•<font color="ff0000">• know whether you really need to keep the slides separated from >the scanner surface, I imagine there's some kind of auto-focusing? > >Hope this helps.

Interesting thing about the holders. My scanner (CanoScan D 1230U) came with a holder for 35mm slides and, for 35mm and 120 film strips, and for 4X5 cut film. It also seems that most mounted 120 slides will fit the 35mm slide holder. They all seem to hold the source somewhat above the glass paten. I sort of thought it would be better to have the source next to the glass so I made some adapters to allow slides to sit on the glass, using the 4X5 adapter as a general positioning device since it is locked into position.

I don't see much difference when the slide/negative distance to the platen is changed, but I surely do see a difference when flat material, such as an opened book, is scanned reflectively.

No idea what's going on.

I don't think there is any auto-focus thing going on, but it may well be that the photo receptors are very directional in their response angles, and just see tiny cones of light from the trans-illumination source.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

I think this has been a topic in the past, but I don't recall that any firm conclusion was reached.

Don Williams

> I recommend Norman Koren's site=20=20

www.normankoren.com

He has a lot of very detailed information on digital and a very good articl= e/review of the Epson 2450 and its performance/focussing/lens problems etc.

It is a very interesting site - great information

I am thinking of buying an Epson 3200
has anyone experience of this new scanner
I want to buy a scanner that will last me, I dont use one myself yet

Hi Noel,

I've just commented on this subject at the end of the following thread (no need to read through the substantial amount of traffic about CCDs/CMOS and various other topics unless you want to - just hit End on your keyboard and you should see my comment)...

http://www.contaxinfo.com/discus/board-auth.cgi?file=/14047/111652.html&lm=1057339632

Regards,

-= mike =-

PS. It seems likely that new medium format scanners will appear from Nikon and Minolta in the next few months, so I would recommend waiting a bit if you can.

Noel,

Funny you should mention the 3200. A friend of mine who has a Mac store just got one on Monday and we are going to do a side by side comparison with a few of my transparancies that have already been scanned on an Epson 1680 a Nikon 8000 and an Imacon Precision 2. We're going to do it next week. I'll let you know the results.

Guy

> Guy, I would really appreciate to hear the results. I need a scanner capable of above average output and am pulled between the good reports on the 3200 and the ones that say it is only average

regards

Noel Greene

Epson 3200

one of the reviews I read said the following

Don't expect any revolutionary ideas from the new solution after Epson 2450. The maximum resolution of 1500-2000 dpi for flatbed scanners with glass and without focusing is reached already, as well as the dynamic range over 3D. The only aspect left is speed.

I have been advise to wait for new Minolta Medium Format

Any further views on the Epson 3200
Guy, you mentioned that one of your friends had bought a 3200 and would be testing it

any feedback

Noel Greene

Noel,

I tested the 3200 last week against the Nikon 8000. I did a very basic scan as I have not studied how it "should" be used. On the monitor it looked pretty good. I have not had a chance to print yet. I'll try printing this week along with scanning a 4 x 5. What I can say so far is that the scan was not quite a sharp as the 8000 but sharpening with Nik Sharpener Pro brought it up to the quality of the untouched 8000 scan. Color was very good and again, on the monitor, matched pretty close the 8000 scan.

The only good test will be printing and I'll let you know about that next week. If it holds up in a print like it does on the monitor I think it is a very good piece of equipment FOR THE MONEY. By the way, I did try the Epson 1680 and the 3200 is WAY better than that. More later.

Guy

>Guy, thanks for the information. Most of my scans are done in the US on Drum. I just need a scanner to see what I should be getting scanned in US. I want to scan and print mainly test stuff .. nothing too serious .. when you say Nikon untouched .. what do you mean.. do you mean that you believe that it will not match the Nikon 8000 quality

regards Noel

Back