DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Surfing shots

Analog6

Now I know I am in the minority using my h2 for sport, but it is not too bad with the f4 210mm lens, it focusses pretty fast and the Continuous focus mode is accurate and sharp (mostly). I get the occasional very arty looking blur, but hey, that happened with the Canon too. I use Aperture priority set at 1/800 (my fastest speed) and it usually gives me a good result. It's a heavy combination but I mount the H2 direct to my monopod and just swivel the whole shebang!

I went down to Snapper Rocks last Saturday (25/02/2011) before the Quiksilver & Roxy Pros start to get a few shots of the folk practising. There were some seriously big waves and the break and beach look good for the competition. (all H2/P20/210mmf4)

Duranbah surfer 25 Feb 2011 #1 by Photography by Odille, on Flickr

QS-R 2502-100_7473 by Photography by Odille, on Flickr

And I just liked the shape of this wave - yes, there is a surfer in there!

Beautiful Wave QS-R 2502-100_7459 by Photography by Odille, on Flickr

Then I moved on down to Duranbah where the water really was this glorious blue green and it was so beautiful with some big waves coming through from time to time.

I liked this one for the perfect shape and carved look of the wave.

Duranbah surfer 25 Feb 2011 #5 by Photography by Odille, on Flickr
h2/p20/210 f4 - db2502-100_7580copy

It is unfair to show these excellent shots of surfers while we in Europe are still battling against the cold of winter.

Temperatures here are still around freezing point! :angry:

Yes, very unfair! Here in Alaska it is below freezing with sub-zero degrees (F) wind chills. Even in summer....you won't see many Alaskans wearing bathing suits when taking a "dip" in the ocean waters.

Love the pictures Odille....thanks for sharing! :)

Gary

Its really nice to see action photos from H2. Good work. I also think its unfair with this nice surf - not that I dont want winter - I REALLY LIKE SNOW:proud: - guess some persons on the forum would go violent hearing this :z04_smileys26: must though still say a nice beach isnt bad either.

Thanks everyone. I love doing action stuff with the blad, the quality is so good. And I did the first 40+ years of my shots with manual focus/anticipate the moment cameras anyway, so it is not too hard.

I like winter personally, and that is one reason we won't stay here forever, no winter as it is subtropical. Oh, we get cool-cold weather, but there is no autumn change of trees etc. And you can forget snow.

If I had my druthers I'd move to the south/west of NZ's south island but I don't have the moolah at the moment. Still - I can dream on!

I REALLY LIKE SNOW:proud: - guess some persons on the forum would go violent hearing this :z04_smileys26: must though still say a nice beach isnt bad either.

This has not gone unnoticed.
Of course you have every right to prefer freezing temperatures as long as others may enjoy a nice (sub)tropical climate :z04_headbanger:

Back