DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

Contax RAW Developer 201 for OS X

irakly

This morning I was browsing global.kyocera.com web site and found a new update for Contax RAW Developer that makes the software fully OS X compatible. It is a bit strange that this update is only available on a Japanese ND page and the installer has Japanese menus(somewhat reminds me of service in one local Japanese restaurant where best seats are always reserved for Japanese), but it installs correctly and transfers all files to the OS X Applications folder. Processing engine seems to be the same as before, so do not dream of shooting exposures of 1 sec and longer. The only bug that I have found so far is when you press "Open in Photoshop 7.0" button, this stupid thing launches Photoshop in Classic environment. The workaround is to develop TIFF files somewhere and then open them in Photoshop.

> Irakly, Thanks for the heads up on the OSX RAW developer!!!! If you open RAW dev. and go to the prefs....you can specify Photoshop 7 in 10 instead of PS 7 in Classic (which is the default)!!!!! Bert

Irakly, call me tomorrw (Friday).

I've been trying to get a hold of you.

Need advice on 2nd ND... and web site we talked about.

Marc

I have read with great interest accounts here of a OS X raw developer for my ND but have not yet been able to access it. Or, you may know how to make OS 10.3 capable of using the my existing Ver. 2.0 and parameters.

> The 2.01 developer does not work on my 10.2.8 machine. The > program starts in classic mode and then closes as soon as I attempt to > open a file. The 2.02 developer does run fine on my machine and > doesn't require the classic mode. You can find the 2.02 developer > here:

http://www.kyocera.co.jp/prdct/optical/camerabody/ndigital/soft/ x_rdd_mac_jp.html

However, I have not been using RAW because the output is very noisy compared to the in camera jpeg. Maybe there is something wrong with my equipment or setup but I've had the same terrible results with RAW 2.0 on OS 9 and 2.02 on OS X. The noise looks like it would be a 1600 speed shot compared to the camera's 400 speed jpeg. What results do you achieve with RAW?

> > Posted by Andrew McKinney (Eandrewm) on Saturday, December 06, 2003 - > 4:28 am: > > I have read with great interest accounts here of a OS X raw developer > for my ND but have not yet been able to access it. Or, you may know > how to make OS 10.3 capable of using the my existing Ver. 2.0 and > parameters.

Dave
Thanks for the link but I was unable to get more than a image of the installer. I will keep trying or you might have some suggestions.

I like using raw because I can work in 16 bit with all of the controls (hist. curves) after the fact. the noise goes away as i use the camera at ASA 25 or up to ASA 100. Though with Binuscan editing software in Auto RECO I can suppress the noise easily in the the high ASAs.

I don't have a Mac, but the problem is the link text is getting scrambled by the board software. First off, it's stopping the link interpretation at the end of the last directory in the path, and omitting the file nale. You need to do a text selection from the right of the "hqx" all the way left past the http (easier that way to avoid the link selection), and copy, then paste it to the browser's address line.

Once I did that, I noticed there's a blank space between the / after "soft/" and the beginning of the file name "RDD_" which needs to be deleted. When I pasted to the browser it turned the space into its hex representation, "%20" which is what I deleted.

Once I did that I was able to get the download dialog box.

Hope this makes sense and helps,

DJ

Back