DPR Forum

Welcome to the Friendly Aisles!
DPRF is a photography forum with people from all over the world freely sharing their knowledge and love of photography. Everybody is welcome, from beginners to the experienced professional. Whether it is Medium Format, fullframe, APS-C, MFT or smaller formats. Digital or film. DPRF is a forum for everybody and for every format.
Enjoy this modern, easy to use software. Look also at our Reviews & Gallery!

GM5 Nut case

What type is that little camera ? ? ? In

It is Micro Four Thirds. Panasonic Lumix GM5. It has even a built in viewfinder. 16MP..

The zoom on that image is the Lumix 12-35mm pancake zoom.

You can not buy this camera new anymore. Only second hand.

I knew you needed another camera, Tom! :daumenhoch-smilie:

Next up, how about an S5 Mark 2?
No I have enough camera bodies already - even before the G100 ... :) That RF-Style body that Panasonic just has to make for the L-Mount is something that might tempt me. Otherwise the M4/3 kit I already have works well enough for what I personally want to do.

See if they can interest Metabones in making an EF-L electronic adpater as well. The Fotodiox Fusion beats the MC-21 fro wider AF compatibility and the Viltrox seems promising although I have not fully tested it across my collection of EF mount lenses like I did with the Fotodiox Fusion and Sigma MC-21. When the Sigma one works it works quite well but Sigma are only interested in good faith in supporting their own EF mount lenses.

I've never actually touched A G100, but it definitely looks much more GX850 in size, than GX9 size. I have both of those, and I find the GX9 much too big. Here's some handy comparisons. In the absence of a GX850 replacement, I've been wondering how I'd get on with a G100. But in the meantime, I've gone for an E-PL7 instead, without the hump, the G100 is much the same size.

View attachment 248
G100 vs GX850

View attachment 249
GX850 vs GX9

View attachment 250
G100 vs GX9
I have no doubt that the G100 was based on the GX850 (type) but with a useful evf and a side hinged lcd. It is a lighter type body but seems well made and would be robust in normal use. Promoted as a V-Log camera it had no attraction to me for that purpose. But as a second generation user of parts designed for the GM series it provides an example of what an updated GM5 might offer by way of camera performance - even though it is substantially larger than is sensor/shutter ancestor.

The fact that it is only fractionally smaller than the GX9 doe not take into comparison that it 'feels' lighter. I should weight mine to see just how much this represents.

If weight is any issue then the G100 has a little more benefit than is slightly smaller form factor might indicate. It is obviously more into the cheaper build category and should be capable of being sold at keen pricing.

Hi,

New to this forum, glad there's a place to hang out with photo enthusiasts after DPReview forum closed....

Just came across the GM1 and GM5 recently online...would be fun to try them, but only ones I've found on fleaBay, are tons of Japanese models, which can't change menus to English.

Anyone know where one can them in English or do I just have to wait until a non-Japanese model pops up?

Meanwhile, I did find nice GX1 locally this week, so, added that to my Pany collection.....FX150, LF1, and LX7....all nice in their own way....

Thanks for any suggestions regarding getting a GM1 or GM5.

Mark

@ArchiMark

It is nowadays difficult to find a GM5 in Europe. Not just find one in good condition. To find one at all. :z04-menno:

But is worth ist. I bought my first GM5 new and was so stupid to sell it 6 months later again. This year, I have looked for a long time until I found one second hand. In red. Looks really cool!

If you are located in the US, try Craigs list and call photo shops..

@ArchiMark

It is nowadays difficult to find a GM5 in Europe. Not just find one in good condition. To find one at all. :z04-menno:

But is worth ist. I bought my first GM5 new and was so stupid to sell it 6 months later again. This year, I have looked for a long time until I found one second hand. In red. Looks really cool!

If you are located in the US, try Craigs list and call photo shops..

That's what I was afraid of, Dirk.....

Thanks for the suggestions....I've been checking Craigslist for my local region...haven't tried photo shops yet....good idea.

Hi,

New to this forum, glad there's a place to hang out with photo enthusiasts after DPReview forum closed....

Just came across the GM1 and GM5 recently online...would be fun to try them, but only ones I've found on fleaBay, are tons of Japanese models, which can't change menus to English.

Anyone know where one can them in English or do I just have to wait until a non-Japanese model pops up?

Meanwhile, I did find nice GX1 locally this week, so, added that to my Pany collection.....FX150, LF1, and LX7....all nice in their own way....

Thanks for any suggestions regarding getting a GM1 or GM5.

Mark
There is this method of changing the Japanese only GM5 to other languages as a post on dprview.

Looks complicated - I have not needed to try this myself.

This method was told on Chinese forums many years ago (I guess 2015).

Surprised that I couldn't find any solution in English.

It might be less important now but in case someone still finds it useful.

This is for G6:

https://kknews.cc/photography/q9al9po.html

The ways to make the yellow exclamation mark appear vary from camera to camera.

It's more like a constant service mode instead of the one-off service mode for checking the shutter count.

For GM5:

1. Turn off the camera + SD card inserted.
2. Press Right + Trash + Playback at the same time.
3. Camera on
4. Press Playback.
5. Press Trash + Up at the same time.
6. Turn it off.
7. Turn it back on.
8. Select Spanner > ROM BACKUP > DSC-SD > SD card ejected.
9. Open the file ended with U (i.e.GM5U) on the computer.
10. Search 270f that appears first in the result from the top.

Japanese 0000,0000,270f,6363,270f,6363 (shown originally)
English 0100,0000,270f,6363,270f,6363
Simplified Chinese 0600,0000,270f,6363,270f,6363
Traditional Chinese 0700,0000,270f,6363,270f,6363

(Other hidden languages should be there and yet to be discovered.)

(Don't edit any subsequent strings of numbers you found below except the first string.)

11. Change the first 4 digits in this string of numbers (regardless of which row(s) they are on) > Save.
12. SD card inserted.
13. Select Spanner > ROM BACKUP > SDALL-DSC(FORCE) > Turn it off > Done.

Take the risk of turning it into a bricked one. (I haven't failed so far.^^)

If you buy one second hand just make sure that it is in good condition. There seems no reason why they cannot keep working well for a good while yet if they have not had a hard life. They are unique and there has been no obvious wide market appetite for cameras this physical size.

Other type of very similar body size - Nikon J1, Pentax Q - have been hampered by a limited range of dedicated lenses but the GM series has access to the full range of oem M4/3 mount capable lenses to choose from. Mix and match your M4/3 lenses with your variety of M4/3 bodies.

The sensor is also somewhat larger ('4/3 mainstream' in its day). The usable evf in the GM5 and excellent intuitive use of a touch screen interface helper makes the GM5 a fairly complete basic stills-shooter with some video.

Whereas the GM5 is a fairly complete camera that can be used with almost any size lens with discretion via evf and taking the weight of thr lens in left hand the GM1 is more limited to what can be achieved by composition/focus off the lcd. I did make myself a magnetic clip on device I called a VEfinder after the style of thr Clearviewer device that has been sold commercially. Such little add on contraptions work by turning the lcd into a sort of workable evf. With the VEfinder I was able to use larger lenses, including adapted MF lenses on a GM1 body even in bright light conditions.

VEfinder - search Google - or here is an illustration: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/59525486

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Back